B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 AM
1st Gear

Don't lower your car, I have 02' A4, I bought it lowered, it looks cool, the stance and all, but the ride sucks, I have to slow to a crawl for every bump, the ride is bumpy as **** causing other **** it my car to break, my lower front facia has torn off, my flex pipe has a hole in it. I'm looking to get my car raised now, it has billstien coil overs right now, I needs at least another inch of travel all around cause the ride just sucks, not practical.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:41 AM

This post above me is retarted.
Did you lower it by chopping the springs or buying shitty coil overs? Obviously your gonna have to be more careful the when the car is stock monster truck status capable of scaling small rocks with no ill effects. You can also lower it to a point where it looks good and doesn't scrape the ground every pebble you touch. My whole exhaust ripped off because my cars low, my front valence has been left behind a few times. **** HAPPENS.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Administrator

He bought it already lowered. Wubbinz79, if you have coilovers, just raise them maybe...?

Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by wubbinz79
Don't lower your car, I have 02' A4, I bought it lowered, it looks cool, the stance and all, but the ride sucks, I have to slow to a crawl for every bump, the ride is bumpy as **** causing other **** it my car to break, my lower front facia has torn off, my flex pipe has a hole in it. I'm looking to get my car raised now, it has billstien coil overs right now, I needs at least another inch of travel all around cause the ride just sucks, not practical.
Name:  nonono.gif
Views: 22
Size:  930.7 KB

Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

Well, if you don't mind dealing with a bunch of broken **** to have your car look slightly cooler then by all means go ahead, for me the equation doesn't balance out. My shocks are billstein, I don't know about the springs. It handles well on the on and off ramps though, not practical for daily driver, for me. My rear window regulators broke, both of them and I attribute that to having my car lowered.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 PM

My car is on coils and I hasn't broken one thing on it. Maybe attribute the regulators breaking due to age. That's like saying my central locking pump broke because my car is lowered. A spring shock combo doesn't even lower the car that much it just eliminates wheel gap.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wubbinz79
Well, if you don't mind dealing with a bunch of broken **** to have your car look slightly cooler then by all means go ahead, for me the equation doesn't balance out. My shocks are billstein, I don't know about the springs. It handles well on the on and off ramps though, not practical for daily driver, for me. My rear window regulators broke, both of them and I attribute that to having my car lowered.
You have bilstein shocks and unknown springs? Then you don't have coilovers. And those unknown springs could most likely be your problem. Both my rear regulators were broken when i bought the car un-modded. Saying that your regulators broke because of lowering your car is like saying your fuel pump went out because of lowering your car. Any mechanical thing WILL break, and regulators are a very common issue on audis.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DanaB6
...and regulators are a very common issue on audis.
I'm gonna start making a list of quotes that state:

"[such and such part] is a very common issue on Audis"

I've got at least 25 candidates already, all collected from random posts on Audi forums throughout the web.

My car's not lowered. I plan to raise it some more. So by that logic, it should last FOREVER!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 AM
3rd Gear

If you can get the Bilsteins that cheap, that's your best bet. This was my old A4 on H&R sport springs and OE sport shocks. The race springs would be lower than this:

Name:  PICT1488.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  111.8 KB

Old 09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

I recently bought new Bilstein Sport shocks for my rear end. They replaced HD shocks that I put on about 80K miles ago. I don't think they're any better then the HD shocks to be honest and one of those was blown.

Additionally, I was more than a little disturbed to read on Bilstein's own web site that oil leaking from or coating the shock is normal and not a cause for return or replacement?? Really? Oil leaking from any shock is NOT normal and I sure as hell won't be buying Bilsteins again.

That said, $250.00 for all 4 shocks is ridiculously cheap, so go for it, lol.

Quick Reply: Suspension question