B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Default suspension help

I am sure this has been asked before but when searching the forums I couldnt find the answer. I have a '97 A4 Quattro with a 2.8L. It needs new shocks, and since it has so many miles, I would like to replace the springs too. I have heard that the springs from an S4 will fit on my car. Is this true? Will it require any other modifications to make them fit? And would anyone know the Audi part numbers to the S4 springs?

thank you
Gerard

Old 08-18-2009, 02:04 PM

they should be a direct swap and drop you about an inch

I would go to mjm autohauz and take a look at their shock and spring combos....

gl!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator

I have S4 struts, springs, and rear swaybar on my 2.8. Direct fit but only about half an inch drop. Go to www.audifreaks.com and I have a sticky post at the top of the B5 A4 forum giving all the info and assessment of it there.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
3rd Gear

^+1 MJM Autohaus has great packages for springs and shocks. Great prices too. As long as you are going to be taking the shocks and springs out you should also check the control arms and wheel bearings. If they haven't been replaced, you should definitely check them out. Especially if you car has high miles.
I walked into a job like you were and was surprised I had to take care of the bearings as well. Just a suggestion, you wouldn't want to have to take everything apart a second time.....

Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 AM
2nd Gear

for about the same price, you could upgrade from S4 ones. I would forget about the S4 ones and go for something else. I have a 01, with factory sport suspension, which is the same as the S4 is the front, a little different in the rear, but I'd like to upgrade it to something better. Look into this.

Tire Rack has some of the best prices, look for H&R Sport Springs, Blisten shocks, and eibach sport sway bars.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:11 PM

Thanks everyone, but I think I will go with the S4 springs; I dont really want to lower my car a lot, I drive it through snow pretty often and i have already broken an oil pan before. I would like to put bilstein shocks on it though. So when getting the shocks should I get those made for the S4 or those just made for my car?

Old 08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Administrator

S4 struts are pretty beefy and would work fine but S4 springs will mount on S4 or A4 struts so whichever you prefer will work fine. See if you get a deal on S4 struts though - they're a nice upgrade from A4 struts and cost less than aftermarket.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Picture of A4 2.8 with s4 springs

S4 will bolt right up to the 2.8 quattro, drop slightly (1/2" to 3/4" inch) from stock and ride very nice (sportier than stock but still very smooth). I put them on my A4 2.8 and the front ended up about 5/8" higher than the rear; this is because the s4 weights a bit more up front.

I'd only do s4 on a 2.8 A4q if you can get a good used set real cheap. I have H&R sport springs on bilstein now and it's a fair amount stiffer than the S4 set up but not as nice of a daily driver on the crappy road I drive.

Decide for your self, here's a picture:

You can see some other suspension configurations on the same car in my picasa album

Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by markcm
S4 will bolt right up to the 2.8 quattro, drop slightly (1/2" to 3/4" inch) from stock and ride very nice (sportier than stock but still very smooth). I put them on my A4 2.8 and the front ended up about 5/8" higher than the rear; this is because the s4 weights a bit more up front.

I'd only do s4 on a 2.8 A4q if you can get a good used set real cheap. I have H&R sport springs on bilstein now and it's a fair amount stiffer than the S4 set up but not as nice of a daily driver on the crappy road I drive.

Decide for your self, here's a picture:

You can see some other suspension configurations on the same car in my picasa album
Nice car....

Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by paskalee
I am sure this has been asked before but when searching the forums I couldnt find the answer. I have a '97 A4 Quattro with a 2.8L. It needs new shocks, and since it has so many miles, I would like to replace the springs too. I have heard that the springs from an S4 will fit on my car. Is this true? Will it require any other modifications to make them fit? And would anyone know the Audi part numbers to the S4 springs?

thank you
Gerard
On second thought, if you did choose to stay with OEM for a more comfortable ride than aftermarket such as H&R... don't get S4 springs get A4 2.8q sport springs. I believe the only difference is that each is compensated for the vehicle's weight to keep the hight correct so s4 would have a disadvantage compared to A4 Sport. The OEM Sport Shocks would be the same for S4 and A4q sport. Don't take me to court on any of this but I'm pretty sure I've got it straight.

Quick Reply: suspension help