B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

support/criticism on my clutch decision..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default support/criticism on my clutch decision..

new (to me, about 55k) K03s is in on my AEB, and it runs slick as **** through a goose.. my exhaust is now much quieter and back to its normal tone which is loud under boost but very dosile when cruising.. and the car picks up and flies pretty good boosting around 18.. other mods are in the sig, and will be upgrading TIP when i pick one up and i dont plan on going any bigger in the turbo dept.. but my already "on its way out the door" OEM clutch is slipping in 4th and 5th gear under high boost and its getting time to throw in something else.. ive pretty much narrowed it down to either AWE's Southbend stage 2 kit or APR's DXD stage 2 daily setup.. both run about the same price (southbend for 425 + shipping and the DXD for i believe 430 with free shipping) and im sure are very similar as far as their driveability on a daily basis..

i just want a yay or nay on either kit and other alternatives if youve got experience personally or have worked with them.. thanks in advance guys.. i wanna be able to put the little power i have down for the fall meet =)

Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Guru

i would get a clutchmaster fx 100 or even the 300

now on your other 2 choices, are those re-using your flywheel or with a flywheel?

i got the fx400 with lwf from mike hood and it was about 1200 i do believe

Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear

with the two choices i mentioned i would be re-using the stock dual mass flywheel.. cost for another flywheel from a general standpoint is 4-500 dollar range? but like i said im not gunna be going any bigger with a turbo, and this is really the limit of where my cars gunna be.. cause once shes all buttoned up ill be working on getting ahold of a b6 s4.. i really dont wanna spend 1200 on a clutch kit for just a daily driver thats only mildly modified.. but im glad you mentioned the clutchmasters fx100 and 300.. i def wanna make the right choice.. ive heard all good things about clutchmaster and southbend.. and i could be wrong but is DXD an offshoot of clutchmaster?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Right now I have similar mods done to my 01 and have been running the Southbend stg 2 with dual mass for over 2 years now. It's really been a great clutch with much better engagement during hard acceleration than stock but retains the smoothness and has a lower engagement point.

I would recommend it to anyone who isn't going to mod much more than what you've done. It has a kevlar lined clutch plate which means it will last, too. I run my car pretty hard a lot and it's held up great so far.

I'm gonna see how well it holds up when I go gtrs, but I'll probably be upgrading to a 240 mm Clutchmasters fx300 with smf.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear

well thats definatley good to hear from someone running that particular clutch.. from what ive read it sounds pretty much perfect with the mods ive done, cause i do daily this car and i wanna retain as much of an oem feel as possible with a little more clamping force.. and the fact that you said you tend to drive your car with some gusto helps cause i dont tend to really run my car hard and this ensures it will hold up to any sorta spirited driving i might do.. definatley interested to see how it holds up to the bigger turbo but it sounds like itll be just fine for me..

thanks alot for the input guys, really appreciated

Old 04-30-2010, 02:59 PM
4th Gear

You do understand that both the clutch kits you mentioned in your first post are both South Bend Clutch Kits and you cant not use a South Bend DXD Stage 2 (6 puck) on your car? AWE and APR are both South Bend Dealers and the DXD is a South Bend label. Check out the South Bend web site http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/

There are 4 different Stage 2 kits in the new South Bend Clutch line for the A4 1.8t.

Stage 2 HD-O-------Daily----HD pressure plate and Performance Organic Disk
Stage 2 HD-TZ------Endurance----HD pressure plate and Kevlar Disk
Stage 2 HD-OFE-----Endurance----HD pressure plate and OFE Disk
Stage 2 HD-DXD-B---Drag----HD pressure plate and 6 puck Disk (must be used with single mass flywheel)

If you want to talk about SB and CM clutch kits feel free to PM me or email me.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 04-30-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by osin34
well thats definatley good to hear from someone running that particular clutch.. from what ive read it sounds pretty much perfect with the mods ive done, cause i do daily this car and i wanna retain as much of an oem feel as possible with a little more clamping force.. and the fact that you said you tend to drive your car with some gusto helps cause i dont tend to really run my car hard and this ensures it will hold up to any sorta spirited driving i might do.. definatley interested to see how it holds up to the bigger turbo but it sounds like itll be just fine for me..

thanks alot for the input guys, really appreciated
No problem, if you go with it I know you'll be very satisfied as it really does match your criteria. Just make sure you do a good break in and youre golden.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Stage 2 HD-TZ------Endurance----HD pressure plate and Kevlar Disk
...is the one I have.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
4th Gear

Correct but not all SB dealers are going to offer it. I can because SB said I could offer it the TZ as a option for the Stage 2.

Most SB dealers will offer the HD-OFE stage 2 and SS-TZ stage 3. I offer both TZ and OFE in both HD and SS kits.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

I bought mine from Kinetic and they sold the Stage 2 TZ and Stage 3 OFE

Quick Reply: support/criticism on my clutch decision..