B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Sunroof rattles

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Sunroof rattles

Hey guys...

I'm having some trouble with my sunroof. It operates just fine. Opens and closes perfectly, but when it is closed, it doesn't completely "lock" into position. When driving down the interstate, I'll hit some turbulent wind either off of a big truck or just a crosswind, but the sunroof sort of bounces. You can actually push up on the glass without much force and move it about 1/2 inch.

I've been inspecting it but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

The motor moves these little pieces of metal that have a round metal pin that rides in the cutout of the rails. But on those pins....should there be any sort of plastic guides or something? It's difficult to explain, but I'd love for someone to post a picture of those pins on a perfectly working sunroof.

I can't seem to find a diagram or parts list anywhere.

Thanks,
Ryan

If you guys need a picture of what I'm talking about, let me know.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator

I'm at work at the moment, but if you want i can take some pics when i get home. Mine works fine. Unless anyone else has some already?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

Hey CC...would it be possible for you to take some pics? No one else seems to have any.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Sure thing man. I'm gonna try to duck outta work early today so there should still be some decent light when i get home. I'll post later this evening. I'm not entirely sure what you're lookin for, so i'm just gonna take a bunch: open, closed, inside, outside, etc. and i'll post some of the good ones.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Primarily I want pictures of the track (especially the moving parts that make the roof pop up into the vent position) from the inside of the car.

Please try to include photos from various angles on those parts, and also a shot of those parts in the position they are in when the roof is completely closed.

Like I said, when my roof is closed, you can push the glass up about a half inch. When it is in the vent position, it's tight and doesn't have any play in it at all.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Hey Ryan, my apologies for taking so long to get these, I've been runnin around like a mad man last couple days...I did the best I could, but thats a tough spot to get good pictures. Hope this helps!

This is the sunroof in the closed position from the outside of the car, flush with the roof.
Name:  IMGP1520.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  83.9 KB

This is the driver's side rail from inside the car, still with the sunroof closed. Again, sorry for the poor quality...
Name:  IMGP1521.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  83.1 KB

And here's the passenger's side rail. Sunroof closed.
Name:  IMGP1523.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  87.4 KB

If you want some different shots, or just more of the same, I can take them tomorrow

Old 11-02-2008, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear

Mine raddles cause theres the track that that pin slides through, theres plastic inserts there that broke so only half is there (theres plastic between the metal and the pin when the roof is open so it doesnt rattle), the plastic is missing when the pin is in the closed position so it rattles, its really annoying but too much bother to fix so i just jam something up there in the winter.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

CCA, thanks for the photos. No worries on the latency. I know how it is to be busy.

Dallas09 hit the nail on the head. That's EXACTLY what mine is doing. I just wanted to know if there's supposed to be a piece of plastic on that pin or not.

Anyone know where one could obtain some replacement plastic pieces for the sunroof??

Old 11-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Aside from the stealership, i'm not sure who would carry something that specialized

Old 11-02-2008, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah i called the dealer on this once, its too specialized for anyong else, although u can get the sunroof and the motor and everything from a junkyard for like 200 bux less then the new track from the dealer. They listed a "Sunroof Track Repair kit" or something like that. I think it had the track insert and the pins or something. Anywho it was like 250 bux or so, so i figured screw it. Mine only does it below like 40 real bad (I just jam something up there in the winter), or when im hittin a bad bump on the freeway. Im pretty sure to get at it you have to take the pillars and the roof off too so it seems like it would be a hassle. I tried to find something that i could make the pin a little thicker in diameter and the rip the rest of the plastic track insert out so that there wouldnt be any play there but the difference in size is just too small.

I swear i had heard of someone just pulling that plastic track insert out and getting it to work well but i dont know how the heck they would have done it since there would be play the whole way through the track then.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rattles