B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Suede beltline trim is now complete (finished pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator

I'll be sure to make a DIY for the rest of the project. brrman, actually in person it doesn't look all THAT pimpin lol, just smooth - now if I used red suede...

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 03-09-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
4th Gear

^^DOOD! Red suede would be ****!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Question

how do you remove the trim?? im not feelin the woodgrain

Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Honestly I considered red trim - it's a little out there for a silver over black car but it could look really good. I think though it'd be out of place unless I did the seats at the same time or at least if my car had body mods or more aggressive styling. Hell, with my history on this (four iterations of trim finish in 18 months), I may yet end up doing it. I think I'd sell this set off in trade though rather than tear the suede off and reskin it again.

As for how to remove it, www.audiworld.com has a procedure that'll walk you through it step by step. Look for the one about creating brushed aluminum trim and don't be intimidated by he pics - it's far easier than the pics make it look.

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 03-09-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Thanks man, I love it I think the whole thing, once finished, should be pretty bad-***. The seats will wait awhile though - they're gonna be big-time expensive I'm sure (local place here wanted $800 to reskin just the front seats in my Z, and that was 7 years ago - they recently quoted a friend $360 to replace ONE PANEL on his A4 driver's seat). I'll definitely shop around (I know of a place called The Secret Service in Syracuse, about an hour from me, and they did great work on a friend's Z for a very reasonable price), but my leather is still pretty good with no rips or holes, so I won't sweat it there. The headliner, pillars, and armrest are going to be done in the next month though. Pics of course to follow.

I get the suede at JoAnn Fabrics in town here. I know they have at least a couple of stores here, but I don't know if they are national. I've tried places like AC Moore and Michael's craft shops, but they don't have suede (at least here). JoAnn's lists the suede at $22/yd (54" wide rolls), but they're always on 40% off, so out the door with tax, a yard runs $14.25.
Nice! Thanks for the info. We do have JoAnn Fabrics here in SoCal (thankfully).

If you're gonna spend that much money on seats, you should probably go with Recaro/Sparco bucket seats with suede. They would probably cost you a little more but you car would look big time baller!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Cool that you have them there - they can hook you up for sure. As for redoing the seats, no way in hell will I pay that much to have my seats redone. And as much as aftermatket seats are cool, I couldn't justify that cost either, nor would I want them in my daily-driven 2.8. I love my seat heaters too much to pass them up anyway I'll find someone to do the seat inserts though, no worries there

Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear

kudos on the project, looks killer..........really top notch.

that carpet on the other hand........looking at the pics my eyes kept getting drawn to the dirty carpet....UGH DAMN MY OCD (Obsessive Cleanliness Disorder)

Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Administrator

LOL thank you for the compliment on the project and believe me, I hate the messy floormats too - normally I don't take pics of the car when it's not detailed, but I didn't want to wait until I could really clean it up. It's a tough time of year in upstate NY to have a clean car, with the end of winter and everything sloppy outside. When it's not like this, if I get birdshit on the windshield I won't sleep until the whole car has been detailed, but at this time of year keeping it clean to my standards is a losing fight and honestly a waste of effort.

Tell ya what though, when the next set is posted with the rest of the suede done, I'll give the car a real detail job before the camera comes out