B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Sudden loss of key fob range. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Read up a bit on antennas, it's not as simple as just connecting a longer length of anything contuctive. Different frequencies and antenna designs require different lengths/configurations of wire. Like I said before, you might get lucky and end up with the ideal wire length purely by chance, but it's much more likely you won't and then you'll wonder why it worked so well for someone else but not at all for you.

Where is the RF circuitry located anyway? Is it inside the CLP?
I think you're reading a little too deep into the conductivity of RF reception and what conducts electrical signal. We're not talking about 5 mile dual Peterbilt CB antenna setups here.

The RF receiver is incorporated into the integrated circuitry on the board inside the CLS/CLP. The antenna receives the signal and delivers it to said circuitry.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:04 PM
2nd Gear

Update:

I bought a replacement CLP off of eBay. I programmed the key FOBs and I extended the antenna exactly as I previously stated - I used some simple, high gauge speaker wire and connected it it the factory antenna, then ran it along the back bumper. Nothing special. Very simple.

My results were better than expected. I measured the max key FOB reception distance and I ended up getting exactly 159 feet of reception (distance was actually measured - by the inch). *Note that I do have new batteries in my FOBs.

I recorded this to show that it can be done, by anyone - easily and quickly. I have a longer, more "proof worthy" video, but I think this video validates my claim well enough. Notice how you barely hear the car alarm from where I'm standing (which is four houses down from mine)?

If anyone needs any help w/this mod. Please let me know and I'd be happy to assist.

Here are my results of the mod:

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 10-04-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
Update:

I bought a replacement CLP off of eBay. I programmed the key FOBs and I extended the antenna exactly as I previously stated - I used some simple, high gauge speaker wire and connected it it the factory antenna, then ran it along the back bumper. Nothing special. Very simple.

My results were better than expected. I measured the max key FOB reception distance and I ended up getting exactly 159 feet of reception (distance was actually measured - by the inch). *Note that I do have new batteries in my FOBs.

I recorded this to show that it can be done, by anyone - easily and quickly. I have a longer, more "proof worthy" video, but I think this video validates my claim well enough. Notice how you barely hear the car alarm from where I'm standing (which is four houses down from mine)?

If anyone needs any help w/this mod. Please let me know and I'd be happy to assist.

Here are my results of the mod: http://youtu.be/AD91AoqP80Q
Cannot find this CLP part for my Audi S3 2010 :/

You have the code number for the part? how much did you pay?

Old 07-05-2021, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

Your car probably doesn’t have a pump but is run by the central convenience module most likely under the carpet somewhere. The Audi A4 B5 uses air pressure and vacuum to lock and unlock, a totally different technology. Best to post in the correct part of the forum for your model and year. This section is for the A4 made between 1996-2001.

Old 07-05-2021, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cybersombosis
Your car probably doesn’t have a pump but is run by the central convenience module most likely under the carpet somewhere. The Audi A4 B5 uses air pressure and vacuum to lock and unlock, a totally different technology. Best to post in the correct part of the forum for your model and year. This section is for the A4 made between 1996-2001.
Thank you! so you think I would have to probably buy a new central convenience module?

my alarm range is so so poor and sometimes even standing next to the car doesnt lock or unlock

Old 07-06-2021, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

No idea. I’d suggest searching in your car’s section of the forum as this is for the A4 made from 1996-2001.