B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

subs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redline380
not to be redundant, but it all depends on your setup and how you want it to sound. you lookoing for a whole new sound system completely? just want a little extra bump in the trunk or you goin for "hear me a block away"? if you wanna stay classy i would first recommend dynomatting your trunk and securing anything loose as it will rattle. you didnt say if you got a aftermarket radio, so ill assume you have a stock one. you can run subs just fine off a stock radio, but you will loose any sub controls an aftermarket one has which can come in handy. it prolly wont have the clarity that you might want, but most people go for spl over sq. in that case i would recommend one twelve inch sub, running about 400-600 watts rms, in a ported box. would definately be enough to shake the car when you want, but for most ocaasions you can keep the gain down and just have a little extra thump. personally, ive had a couple jbl p1222's in my old car and it was quite loud. a good setup for you would be a one of those subs (except the p1224, unless you wanna drop it down to one ohm, in which case it would sound terrible) and a kenwood kac-x10d amp. same things i had. good bang for the buck as it can be had for around 300 for both
if he has to ask about subs in general why would you recommend a 12? honestly dude just get a nice 8 with a nice amp. setup should run you around 6-800 if you do it right. Itll hit if you want it, its not too heavy/space consuming and it will sound clean. but hey its your car/ears and remember, like i said above, you get what you pay for. get a shitty setup and youll inevitably need a new one whether you blow it up or are just so unhappy you scrap it.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

i have an alpine 12" type R with a alpine 600w mono amp...sounds amazing!!! the box makes a huge difference also..mine is 1 cubic foot i beleive...i took the ski sack out and have the sub pointed through the ski sack... ill put some pics up tomorrow

Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by rCc0la
i have an alpine 12" type R with a alpine 600w mono amp...sounds amazing!!! the box makes a huge difference also..mine is 1 cubic foot i beleive...i took the ski sack out and have the sub pointed through the ski sack... ill put some pics up tomorrow

That's the same way I have mine set up, direct fire subs sound better than trunk fire.

One important thing to consider is the amount of power that your amp has/sub uses. The more power you have the better it will sound, but not for volume reasons. When a sub is making a 35 htz tone it is going back and forth 35 times per second. if your amp is under powered it takes more time for the speaker to stop and change direction each time the speaker moves. So the more powerful your amp is the more crisp the sound will be.

I run a rockford fosgate 1000watt dual voice coil 12" with a xtant 1000.1 amp. It can handle the double bass drumb of Lamb of God at any volume with ease.

Ans yes the box size/design makes ALL the difference.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

im pretty sure im running 4 Ohms...that also makes a difference weather your running 2 or 4 Ohms

Old 05-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by x1n54n3x
if he has to ask about subs in general why would you recommend a 12?
i recommend a twelve for a couple reasons.
1. a box for a twelve inch takes up less volume than a box for two tens
2. in light of reason number 1, if you do the math the total surface area of one twelve is only about 30 suare inches less than two tens.
3. a twelve can reproduce lower frequncies more efficiently
4. powering one sub is usually easier than powering two subs and it is easier to wire one sub to represent the ohm load you want, unless they are svc's.
as for the ohm load you want to run, again it depends what you want it to sound like and how big your amp is. running a 4ohm load has higher sound quality, but a 2ohm load has more power. also, if you run a 4ohm load, you need to get a bigger amp to supply your sub with its rms wattage as running in 4ohm typically provides about have the wattage as running in 2ohm. contrary to popular beliefe, it is easier to blow a sub with running too small of an amp than too big.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:45 PM
1st Gear
Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
1st Gear

I got 1 type-r on 1000Wx1 in my girls car, its not bad. I used to have 2 type-s's on 1000w in highschool, it was loud. lets just say,.. i could make it hurt.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

rCcola you do realize if you faced your sub the opposite way it would be louder and sound better right?
bass is a resinating sound and needs something to bounce off of. if you plan on hitting lowwwww lows the sound needs something to bounce off of.
such as your trunk

Old 05-07-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by andrewj654321
rCcola you do realize if you faced your sub the opposite way it would be louder and sound better right?
bass is a resinating sound and needs something to bounce off of. if you plan on hitting lowwwww lows the sound needs something to bounce off of.
such as your trunk
WRONG!! All sound is a resonating sound. Trunk firing subs will be louder but causes a delay as the sound has to bounce off the back of the trunk then make it back through all the stuff and into the car so the bass soundwave will hit your ears last, therefore NOT sounding as good because the bass instruments will not hit your ears at the correct time.

But if you listen to hit hop, no problem.

If you have a forward facing sub with rear facing ports creates a secondary chamber for a more volume but still allows the sub to be the correct direction.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

easy not there bishop i was informed wrong then thank you for the correction.

Quick Reply: subs