B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Stupid Question about 1-piece conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

I finished putting my 1 peice light system in last Thursday (11th Dec 08) along with a replacement fender and I didn't need to dremel anything to fit them on either the original Fender or the EBAY replacement fender so my lights must be a little different... (My headlights we're also Ebay specials - Cheap and Cheerful)

I also know that to get the original 2 peice light cluster out of my vehicle required 4 torq's bolts to be removed (2 uppers visible, and 2 lowers), and I used all 4 again when securing my 1 peice alternative's...

Can't help you with the Back bolt though, as I am not sure what bolt your refering too..... (Pictures)

For my Installation, i required significant modification for the electrical connections, which is where I used someone else's DIY (possibly Prizmatiks) for Idea's. I did not want to modify the Electrical Connections of the car (can be returned to standard quickly this way), but didn't mind modifiying the Connections of the Headlight 1 peice......

Old 12-16-2008, 10:53 PM
2nd Gear

Hm, maybe its something they did before 1999 because im positive my two pieces only have three screws.. Yeah im not worried about the connector (im gonna use my old headlights (ebay 2-piece) that have a sort of built in harness that i can remove that takes the harness and converts it into pretty much bare wire which will make things easier.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Dallas09;1009459]Hm, maybe its something they did before 1999 because im positive my two pieces only have three screws.QUOTE]

Both my old two piece and my new one piece lights only had 3 screws. They fit in the same places on both sets. 2 on top and one at the bottom in the back.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:15 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah i wonder if you guys removed a screw for something else, theres screws that look just like the headlight ones for other stuff.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

Guys, both 1 and 2-piece (pre and post-facelift) headlamps are secured with 3 torx bolts.

Both types have the 2 top bolts in the same location, just the bottom one is different on both.

Pre-facelift (2-piece): Bolt goes in sideways, accessed after removing indicator.
Post-facelift (1-piece): Bolt goes downwards, accessed with long reach torx bit.

In both versions, the inner side (closest to the grille) are secured by sliding the plastic peg into a corresponding plastic bracket, itself bolted to the front frame / clip.

This plastic bracket does NOT need to be unbolted to remove the headlamps, and their removal / replacement does NOT require bumper removal.