B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Stroking a 2.8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike@DTH
Actually those people are out there. I know a guy that went custom tune for his SC 3.0. When you get to this level a "off the shelf" tune just isn't going to cut it. Why spend $10k-$15k on parts to make power to then just skip on good tuning?
Thats pretty much how I was looking at it. You get more performance your money that way too. Even if I was putting a G2 kit on my stock engine I would consider a custom tune just because I have heard horror stories w/ the G3 kit on the 3.0 (one local guy has it and it blew his engine)

Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm make believe

Most VW/Audi people are cheap as hell and most arent going over a gt30r. Once you do go over those barriers and completely change everything from oil pan to valve cover, a custom tune is highly recomended.

However, still waiting to see results of those using the tapp 1kcc tune and the new 1200cc uni tune. Should see the results of the uni tune here soon. Car will be a 10:1 2008cc motor, gt3582r .63 with tial housing on a pag tial manifold, SEM intake manifold, and stock aeb head. Their 870cc tune made like 525whp on a 2.2L 93oct hta35r and 25psi. The tapp tune has seen over 600whp already a few times.

So power still can be had with a stock ecu. Basically its the same debate as over in Evo land except our ecus adapt and theirs are custom tuned

Old 01-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by somebody5788
Thats pretty much how I was looking at it. You get more performance your money that way too. Even if I was putting a G2 kit on my stock engine I would consider a custom tune just because I have heard horror stories w/ the G3 kit on the 3.0 (one local guy has it and it blew his engine)
Keep in mind that the newer ecus have a more space for a few programs and they also come with a wbo2. Unitronic has theirs setup to where it can adapt for fuel and increase timing accordingly where other tunes need a pump and race gas tune. Things have gotten good for stock ecus in the 1.8t community about a year ago

Old 01-05-2009, 11:31 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by cincyTT
Most VW/Audi people are cheap as hell and most arent going over a gt30r. Once you do go over those barriers and completely change everything from oil pan to valve cover, a custom tune is highly recomended.

However, still waiting to see results of those using the tapp 1kcc tune and the new 1200cc uni tune. Should see the results of the uni tune here soon. Car will be a 10:1 2008cc motor, gt3582r .63 with tial housing on a pag tial manifold, SEM intake manifold, and stock aeb head. Their 870cc tune made like 525whp on a 2.2L 93oct hta35r and 25psi. The tapp tune has seen over 600whp already a few times.

So power still can be had with a stock ecu. Basically its the same debate as over in Evo land except our ecus adapt and theirs are custom tuned

Believe me there are plenty of cheap people but there are also plenty of 1.8t owners that are spending money.

Are all of those tuning cars you are talking about VW's, because if they are they are pretty much pointless to the A4 owners.

No one ever said that the only way to make big power is to go stand alone, I just said that going with an off the shelf tune doesn't always mean your getting all the power out of the car since you are basically using a custom tune that was done on another car and as we all know once you get to high hp levels no car is 100% the same period.

Change oil pain to valve cover? I have been running a GT35r for nearly 6 years and still run my stock oil pan and OEM valve cover.

Yes some of those tunes might make huge power, but I have also seen some of those same exact tunes bought as a "off the shelf" tune and they ran like complete ****. Even drove one that ran so lean we expected it to blow up at some point, that person ended up removing that ecu and went stand alone.

Originally Posted by cincyTT
Keep in mind that the newer ecus have a more space for a few programs and they also come with a wbo2. Unitronic has theirs setup to where it can adapt for fuel and increase timing accordingly where other tunes need a pump and race gas tune. Things have gotten good for stock ecus in the 1.8t community about a year ago
GIAC did the same thing 8 years ago. The ecu is always adjusting timing, but it can only pull timing back it cant add more timing then what it is programmed for. So a tune for 93 octane isn't going to add enough timing to run it on 104 and get all the power out of it. There is no such thing as the magical tune that gets all the power from pump and race gas. If the tune is done for race gas to get 100% power, the car is going to ping like a bitch while running on pump. I dont know any A4 owner B5 or B6 that is able to have 2 UNi files programmed into their ECU. I even have a B6 that is being custom tuned using a Uni file and I was told that it can only have 1 file.

As for the tuning getting good in the last year, I have yet to see a perfect tune for the A4 1.8t(B5/B6) that is for a BAT(GT30 or larger). The B6 guys are still waiting for a tune that will get them over the 400awhp hump.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 01-05-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm make believe

Miss reading, selective reading or what?

[quote=Mike@DTH;1019439]Believe me there are plenty of cheap people but there are also plenty of 1.8t owners that are spending money.

Never said there wasnt. Plenty of people using SEM, just far less than those on other plateforms

Are all of those tuning cars you are talking about VW's, because if they are they are pretty much pointless to the A4 owners.

Not this stupid **** again....

No one ever said that the only way to make big power is to go stand alone, I just said that going with an off the shelf tune doesn't always mean your getting all the power out of the car since you are basically using a custom tune that was done on another car and as we all know once you get to high hp levels no car is 100% the same period.

DUH!! We all got that, thus why i said it was recommended

Change oil pain to valve cover? I have been running a GT35r for nearly 6 years and still run my stock oil pan and OEM valve cover.

Totally missed the point. Didnt mean change the pan/cover, but everything in between: manifolds, turbo, cams, internals....

Yes some of those tunes might make huge power, but I have also seen some of those same exact tunes bought as a "off the shelf" tune and they ran like complete ****. Even drove one that ran so lean we expected it to blow up at some point, that person ended up removing that ecu and went stand alone.

Those do happen. But its not like its a common thing and your out the $$

GIAC did the same thing 8 years ago. The ecu is always adjusting timing, but it can only pull timing back it cant add more timing then what it is programmed for. So a tune for 93 octane isn't going to add enough timing to run it on 104 and get all the power out of it. There is no such thing as the magical tune that gets all the power from pump and race gas. If the tune is done for race gas to get 100% power, the car is going to ping like a bitch while running on pump. I dont know any A4 owner B5 or B6 that is able to have 2 UNi files programmed into their ECU. I even have a B6 that is being custom tuned using a Uni file and I was told that it can only have 1 file.

Then i guess you need to talk to someone from uni then. The tunes do exist, just because you dont know about it doesnt mean they dont.

As for the tuning getting good in the last year, I have yet to see a perfect tune for the A4 1.8t(B5/B6) that is for a BAT(GT30 or larger). The B6 guys are still waiting for a tune that will get them over the 400awhp hump.

Well take into accout that Giac didnt really do BT files for anyone but Del Rio, Uni is still working on more 1.8t files (mainly AWW/AWP), APR has long since went to the 2.0T plateform and the only one that some seem to think is ok is Revo and they are well, revo.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
3rd Gear

Never saw this one coming...

Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 AM

hahaha for real! lol

Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 AM
4th Gear

Why you getting so defensive and pissed just because somone doesn't aggree with you?

First off how would anyone read this wrong?

Once you do go over those barriers and completely change everything from oil pan to valve cover.
If you meant "between" then you should have typed that word not what you actually typed. Unless you actually expect me to read your mind not what you type.

You are right I dont know much about Uni, seeing that there are very few A4 1.8t BT guys using the product and as you can see I deal with A4's not transverse cars which is why I am on a Audi forum not a VW forum.

Well take into accout that Giac didnt really do BT files for anyone but Del Rio, Uni is still working on more 1.8t files (mainly AWW/AWP), APR has long since went to the 2.0T plateform and the only one that some seem to think is ok is Revo and they are well, revo.
LOL, come on you know thats a bunch of BS. GIAC was the tuner of the PES T28 kit well before they even started doing anything for Del Rio. They also did the tuning for the GMG BT kits and are doing the tuning for the ER BT kits. GIAC also tuned my GT35r setup before I decided to go stand alone and I ran that tune for a few years. I even won the drag race event at the 1.8t Challenge back in 2004 with the GIAC tuning, I even beat all the shop cars by more then 1 full second in the 1/4 mile even though they were making more power. The funny part is that I was making less then 400whp back then.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 01-06-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
3rd Gear

I think your both right now get over it...

Old 01-06-2009, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

"Stop Bitch'in" is what i always say. You Both obviously know your ****. There are guys floating around Audi Forums that are making 'better' PES G2 Tunes and putting the engine into a very unsafe area of operation. I would watch out. Not all PES Tunes are ****. btw, the no PES kit was EVER designed to go past the stock boost levels. Just a tid-bit.