B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Stretch bolt on front strut bar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear
Default Stretch bolt on front strut bar?

Hey,

Under the front of the car there is a strut bar or stabilizer bar that goes from side to side. I had to undo this bar when I changed my control arms in order to give some slack to get the bottom bolts in/out of place. If I recall it was a pretty big bolt (17mm or so) with a pretty high torque spec. I remember reading that this was a one time use stretch bolt that needed to be changed if you loosened it.

When I shift the car's weight left right there is a weird noise, sort of like something is popping in and out of place just slightly and I think that this strut bar/bolt might be the problem.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Does anyone know where I can get this bolt?

Thanks

Old 08-28-2011, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

That is the Sway bar. If I remember correctly the torque spec is something like 100NM, sway bar to sway bar end link, not end link to control arm. Thats 40NM I think.

Did you tighten everything with the suspension jacked up to ride height? If not, loosen everything and re do it. An easy way to find out where your ride height is with out the wheel on when the car is jacked up is to find out where the pinch bolt is relative to say the top of the bumper or measure from the top of the fender down to the pinch bolt. That way when you have the car jacked up with the wheel off you can have a reference point. Then once you have the suspension jacked up, re-tighten each bolt that you messed with. That could possibly be the problem. You'll ruin CA's realllllyyy quick by not torquing with the suspension at ride height.