B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Stock Spring Specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Stock Spring Specs

Wondering if anyone here can help me out a bit...

I'm looking for the stock spring specs on my A4 2.8 30v Quattro. I need to know the spring rate, inside and outside diameters, and height of the springs, I tried searching both the forums and Google but so far nothing. Anybody got this off the top if their head? Would really appreciate the info

Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

So don't know if anybodys got the info, but it might help if I explained what I'm trying to do. I want to lift the car 1 inch in the front and 1.5 inches in the rear. I was hoping to do it with longer coil springs but I didn't want to stiffen up the suspension because it's plenty tight as is. Is there an easier way to lift the car? Or are the coil springs my best bet?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

Do you mean lower? Or do you actually want to lift your car?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

No I actually want to lift my car, however odd it sounds. I live in a town full of dirt and bumpy rural roads, and I'd also like to do a bit of light offroading in the car

Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

You are the first person I have ever heard of wanting to do offloading in an Audi sedan, whatever floats your boat. As far as the springs, if you have sport suspension putting on stock suspension will raise you up a bit. Other then that I think (others correct me if I'm wrong) your going to need all new suspension, coilovers may work but idk if they can go up. I remember a post on the zine awhile ago about somebody putting a rancho 3" lift kit on his a4 so that's an idea I suppose (so for no exact details, this is new ground for me)

Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear

With the way the suspension is setup on these cars, you're not going to get any lift without heavier springs. On the front you could probably just use the spacer lift method common for Subarus.

The rear will be a whole different animal. The upper mount for the rear springs is vertical on the inside of the rear inner fender. No ability to use a spacer here.

Without increasing the spring rate to gain lift, the only other option I can think of are something like these.

Honestly, I think you're asking for trouble trying to lift one of these cars. Stock height should be plenty high and 16" tires should give you plenty of sidewall to absorb bumps. Even if you can get the additional height you want, I don't think that you'll be able to get the alignment anywhere near where it should be and you'll have weird handling and eat up tires. If you want a car to use offroad, buy a Subaru.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

I was figuring a coil spring with the same spring rate as stock, but an inch or so taller would give me an inch extra lift. Even a slightly stiffer spring, but again, taller than stock. Would this not work at all? I'm just trying to get that little extra clearance so I don't have to worry as much about bottoming out in the dirt, although I do realize topping out could become a slight issue if the suspension isn't limited somehow. Also trying to get a little extra clearance for some all terrain tires. And being an experiment, I was hoping to get away with this as inexpensively as possible which is why I considered changing the springs. Are you saying this won't work at all?