B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

SteveSnart

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 AM
1st Gear
Question SteveSnart

I have an Audi A4 SE 2001. Had a problem with the remote which would not unlock but following threads got it to work - except for the rear doors which will not open either using the fob, by key or any method. Anyone got any suggestions of what has happened and how to resolve it?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Has it ever worked? You should be able to change it with vag-com a p.o. might have changed it.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:11 AM
1st Gear

I've had the car for years and the remote fob has never failed before, but some kind of alarm was triggered and the remote simply stopped working. Eventually I found out (via another AudiForum thread) how to re-sync the fob, since the instructions in the manual failed to work. Now the remote works but the rear doors are firmly locked and the only access to, and exit from, the rear is through the window or clambering over the console! I do not know what a 'vag-com' is, nor do I know what a 'p.o' is or what they might have changed. Can you be a bit more explicit? Thanks.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:24 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Vag-com is the diagnostic system for our cars. You can change certain parameters of the car (including the locking functions) with vag-com.

You can't unlock the doors manually?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:04 AM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=lm0812;1266264]Vag-com is the diagnostic system for our cars. You can change certain parameters of the car (including the locking functions) with vag-com.

You can't unlock the doors manually?

Thanks for the info re: Vag-com. Can't unlock rear doors manually either from inside or out - hence having to climb through windows!! Looks like a trip to an expensive Audi garage. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 AM
4th Gear

Sounds like your problem is that the child locks are engaged, so you can't open them from the inside, and the lock itself may not work with the fob due to a disconnection somewhere in the vacuum lines.

In the trunk there is a small vacuum/ compressor under some carpet and padding near the passenger side tail light. Locate it, and try tracing the vac lines and see if you can find your problem.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:41 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy

Thanks Brad

I've given up and handed the car over to my local Audi Dealer who, believe it or not, have no idea what has gone wrong. Quote: "We've got our two chief technicians scratching their heads over this one." They also think the rear door deadlocks have been engaged but can't work out why despite numerous techniques tried to disengage.. They've never heard of this happening before, so I guess I'm the lucky one who will have to pay for the experimentation: £200 and counting!!

I'll let Audiforums know what the result is if the car ever comes back...

Steve