B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Steering squeek/creaking noise! Do you know what it is!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Steering squeek/creaking noise! Do you know what it is!?!?

Hey guys,

I've had this "issue" present for the past 3 months or so.. but in the past month it has become worse. I've noticed that when i turn my steering wheel left/right, that a squeeking/creaking noise comes from my engine bay (it has recently become louder).It happensat certain points of turning the wheel, so at these specific points, ialso noticed that it becomes a bit stiffer to turn the wheel. (when i move the wheel at those points left & right, and listen from outside the car, it actually sounds like a DJ scratching vinyl.. lol)

I've had my steering rack overhauled 2 weeks ago, but the problem was therebefore that. The fluid level is topped up too. So i'm not quite sure what the problem really is, but the DJ scratching sound is really starting to irritate me, my passengers, and probably the public..

Anyone familiar of had this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks in advance!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Steering squeek/creaking noise! Do you know what it is!?!?

I would say you should check your control arms/ball joints. They are known to make squeaking noises when turning the car. I'm surprised though that while "overhalling" the steering rack that no one picked up on where the squeaking noise was coming from.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

had the same problem but my noise was more of a cracking noise and it was my cv joint boot that was broken so all the oil escaped and the cv joint was braking, check your joints and boot and if you can fix it soon the better before it leaves you needing a tow in the middle of the road.

hope that helped

Old 03-02-2008, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for advice guys!

I've had both CV's replaced about 25k miles ago, and the left control arm about 15k miles ago.. so i'm thinking the ball joints. Dont you just love fixing a B5'sentire suspension setup lol. I shall check that out this week!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Site Moderator

Push down on the fenders of the car, if you can hear a squeak, then its the upper control arm bushings.