B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Steering rack knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Steering rack knocking noise

Hi guys, need some guidance. I have a 98 audi a4 quattro, 200,000 miles, runs good. I have a knock noise coming I believe from the left front, sounds exactly like a loose outer or inner tie rod. Its not the outer, as I just replaced it. You can really feel it right on the inner tie rod when setting on the ground with someone wiggling steering wheel(actually you can feel it on both inner tie rods, but noise seems louder from driver side). With the outer tie rod unhooked, I cant feel any play in the inner tie rod, and I cant get the noise when its hanging on the lift. I don't see in mitchel where they even mention about changing out the inner tie rod, is that a changable part, or have to come with the whole rack? I believe there is a way to adjust the steering wheel play also, but from underneith, there is a 18mm nut with a rubber grommet in the middle, the nut doesn't seem to turn, and I cant tell once the grommet is out if there is a set screw of some kind up through that nut to adjust steering play. The car doesn't seem like it has excessive steering play. I don't hear the noise as much from the inside either, so I dont think its anything to do with the steering shaft. Any experience or guidance
Thanks a million, Myron