B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Stealership :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Stealership :(

Well i decided to call the stealership and have my timing, serp, water pump, etc replaced.

My car has no evidence of maintence being done with the last owner.

The price for that ended up being 1350$$. DAMN.

I would have loved to do it but i just dont have tools at the moment. Id probably spend that much in tools anyways.

Soooo I get a call from Audi this mornign (dropped it of yesterday) and they tell me its leaking the oil that theyre putting in...after they put it back together. F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK F*CK

THe guy goes on to tell me that the valve cover gaskets and cam tensioner gaskets are done and i have oil leaking directly into my alternator!!

Well at least my alternator will stay lubricated.

Another 832$$ for that.

Im sure there are worse horror stories but damn.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear

Where I from I got the water pump, timing belt changed in one day for 300 out the door.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Well some of us arent dead yet and i need to stay on earth. Even if i were to go ahead and off myself to save money i probably wouldnt end up in heaven.

How did you get that kind of deal. Its a long-*** job as i understand...

Old 01-08-2009, 12:12 PM
2nd Gear

I know the guys and they work on audis all day. Called Fast Enough

Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

You shouldn't have gone to a dealer for that kind of job. They are usually more expensive than any other Audi&VW certified shops.
I did the timing belt water pump etc, for about $700.
That is what most shops charge for that kind of work.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

You see i cannot find any other shops. Where i am right now (deep south) does not have snow and audis are pretty rare. IN fact there are little to no shops around here. Im in Charlotte NC and i just cant believe the only place i can find that does more than oil changes is the stealership

Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 PM
3rd Gear

Most good mechanics know to change the cam seals when your doing the TB job. That's why I didn't do it when I did my TB, cause I'm not a good mechanic. Mine started leaking just after I got it all back together, but the leak is only a couple drops a day. Planning on tearing it all apart again some day next summer and replacing the seals. Sucks/strange you don't have any euro shops in your area, I have two around me that are basically euro specific, plus the Stealership for those hard to find things. I was lucky with my car, it was owned by a professor at a near by college, and they took it to the dealer for everything.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AudiTurbo
Where I from I got the water pump, timing belt changed in one day for 300 out the door.
You seem to feed a lot of misinformation... You have a 1.8t he has a 2.8 his has 2 heads and you have 1 so your belt is much easier. While both take a similar process to get to it its still easier to do the 1.8. Also its like 300 just in parts to do the job correctly so I would be hesitant to go back to them as they probably didn't do the tensioner or at least left something out. Just cuz they work on them all the time doesn't mean there gonna be like 30% the cost of any other shop.

I find it very ridiculous that they didn't catch the leak before... I would have told them they were paying the labor to install the cam seals as if it wasn't leaking enough to need changed when they started the job and suddenly it does somethings up. It's just one of those things they should be able to see.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by AudiTurbo
It's awesome that you get hooked up, but 1.8t and 2.8 is apples and oranges, not to mention whoever is servicing your car obviously likes to work for peanuts which is a rarity. Your experience is sort of irrelevant and not applicable to statdev's situation in every way. Like said, the parts alone are nearly $300 if the job is getting done right.

Leaky valve cover gaskets and cam seals arent going to make you lose any measureable amount of oil within a short time. It's not like they pour the oil in and then it comes gushing out the very top of the engine where those seals are. They of course will make it sound more urgent than it really is. $800+ just for those things sounds like rape though. The $1350 sounds normalish. A little high. Audi techs love timing belt jobs.

Here is a closer look if you care.
Name:  30vtimingbelt.png
Views: 80
Size:  1.13 MB

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 01-08-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 PM
2nd Gear

Ok sorry for saying anything

Quick Reply: Stealership :(