B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Starting from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Starting from scratch

So I picked up a used A4 B5 1.8T Quattro sedan and as far as I can tell everything is OEM.

Because the car has higher mileage I am looking to start swapping out old and worn out parts to make sure everything is solid before considering upgrades.

Here is what I am planning to start with, and hope to get some opinions or recommendations.
  • Buy the Bentley repair manual
  • Flush and replace fluids (heater is not putting out as much heat as I think it should)
  • NGK 6962 spark plugs
  • 034Motorsports Coil Conversion & ICM Delete Kit(should I replace the harness as well?
  • Snub and engine mounts (thinking Stern)
  • APR Timing belt kit
  • Seafoam the intake manifold

Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

It wouldn't hurt to invest in some silicon vacuum hose. It is pretty cheap and is better than the OEM braided hose.

Seafoam works better in the fuel tank. If you put it in the crankcase (oil), flush it out shortly after. For the Intake manifold I recommend Mopar CCC (crankcase cleaner). It is a foam; therefore it expands into every crevice.

And no it wont hydrolock your engine.

Knowing life you will need to replace a few gaskets/seals here and there also.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Kamil' that is the kind of advice I am looking for.

How much silicone tubing will I need, 3.5 x 2, and do you need to use hose clamps with that?

Also, has someone written up the proper steps for using the Mopar CCC?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

Control arms wouldn't be a bad idea to restore stability, pick up a complete front end kit for around $250 from ESC. A good days work spent on the car installing them, there are DIY's but there's really nothing to it, quite easy.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
2nd Gear

Mopar CCC is good stuff, Google around for directions since there's more than one way to use it. I took out the spark plugs and sprayed it down into the cylinders, then let it sit and turned it over with towels over the spark plug holes.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

So I replaced my vacuum lines today The old vac hoses were brittle and broke easily in my hands as I took them off.

I also ran about half a can of Mopar CCC through the vacuum intake at the front of the engine. I am debating if I should use the rest in rear vac intake or use it in the crankcase when I pull the spark plugs to replace them. Even with half the can, I have noticed that the engine has smoothed out some and has become more responsive.

The car currently has S4 ignition coils and they seem to be good still but I am considering doing an upgrade to the 2.0T coil conversion through 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen. Is this worth doing now or should I just throw new plugs in since the current coils seem to be ok?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

Congrats on the car! Something my buddy and I did was go through the car with a couple flashlights and find every ripped hose (there were approx 5 of them),
get the timing belt done (you KNOW what'll happen if that doesn't get changed), new coils, spark plugs, engine cleaner and the sorts. The car has been so much fun.

Also, here is something you may like:

B5 A4 New Member Guide/FAQ! Answers to the most commonly asked questions!

Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

So I know the belts need to be done and I am looking for the best kit. I know ECS and Blauparts have timing belt kits and I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on what brand to choose. I want to replace the serpentine belt tensioner as part of the process.

Also, who has a link to the best step by step instructions for doing the timing belt? I have seen several but I don't want to get half way into it and get stuck or lost.

Anyone in Utah want to help me out and make a little $$$?

Old 01-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Many of us have been using the FCP kit with great results, and it's quite a bit less expensive to boot. Look in our DIY subforum here on AF - I'm pretty sure there are timing procedures there.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

I went with the 034motorsports snub with bracket. Got to admit, removing the front bumper for the first time was a little more of a bear than I thought it would be. But it was good practice for when I do the belts.

Quick Reply: Starting from scratch