B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

stabilizer mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

ok, so I went under and realized that I would have to take off my wheel in order to get to the bushings... and it seems that I may have misplaced my tools as they aren't in my trunk. I will have to do it tomorrow. What should I tak pictures of?

Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mrbloink
ok, so I went under and realized that I would have to take off my wheel in order to get to the bushings... and it seems that I may have misplaced my tools as they aren't in my trunk. I will have to do it tomorrow. What should I tak pictures of?
You're confusing me.

This is the stabilizer bar, AKA the sway bar (this is much larger than stock).
The mounts are still attached, they bolt to the subframe. You'll simply need to remove the engine underpan to see it.

Below is a pic of the end of the bar installed. This is what you are seeing close to the wheel. The bar is held at the ends via a stabilizer bar strut, AKA the endlink.

So which of these things is broken??

Below is a close up of the endlink, which is bolted to the control arm.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

I think i will need to jack both sides up and use some jack stands. i didnt feel safe under my crappy jack so I will have to take it to school tomorrow and use their stands. sorry for the confusion. I was told that it was a mount. where are the bushings located? i thought that they were located where it connects to the control arm.

Lol as of right now, i have no idea what was broken. I was told by the sleaze that it was the mount, so i will look there first.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 AM
3rd Gear

Good call. Never get under a car supported with only a jack.

The mounts hold the bar to the subframe. These are towards the center of the car, near the oil pan as seen in the first pic.

The endlinks hold the ends to the control arm. These are closest to the wheels, as seen in the last pic.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 AM
1st Gear

ok i will see what I can do. should i remove it also?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
3rd Gear

ok i will see what I can do. should i remove it also?
Remove what? The bar? The car will drive like poopy.

Put it on the lift, snap some picks, use a pry bar to see what's loose if nothing is obvious, and get back to us.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

oh i was just wondering if i should remove it when taking the picture.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear

what mounts are you even talking about? im not really convinced you were origionaly talkinga bout a sway bar uplink. an uplink and a mount arent really the same thing, the same way a control arm isnt a mount. was it a motor or trans mount or something?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

no, he told me is was a front stabilizer mount. i had a look and where the sway bar connects to the controll arm, it sort of wiggles. like the C's that they connect to wigglel a bit. more on the passenger side than the drivers side

Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
3rd Gear

no, he told me is was a front stabilizer mount. i had a look and where the sway bar connects to the controll arm, it sort of wiggles. like the C's that they connect to wigglel a bit. more on the passenger side than the drivers side
Bad end links will definitely cause clunking noises. They should move a bit, but really only with a prybar. If they move loosely by hand, they are shot. These aren't sway bar mounts, they are called endlinks, stabilizer bar struts, or uplinks.

Quick Reply: stabilizer mount