B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

squeking and huming noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 PM
1st Gear
Default squeking and huming noise

lately when i turn my wheel there is a squecking to somewhat grinding noise coming from my front end.. almost as if from right behind the steering wheel (wondering if this has to do to the fact that i have to change my driver side from control arms and tie rod ends). also when i put on my heat or AC car makes a high pitched hum for a while then it goes away. Any have any ideas to what these are?

Old 03-17-2008, 02:13 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: squeking and huming noise

if that were happening to me, i'd check out all of the belts

they could be loose or the rubber might be rotted etc. the squeaking/humming might be a sign of wear or misalignment on the pulleys

Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

the squeking continued for awhile and got louder then my senses hit me and I checked the hydraulic fluids and it was really low so ran out to the nearest audi dealer picked some up and topped it off. the hum from the AC has been gone for a day or so but still gonna check that out.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: YoungGentleman86

lately when i turn my wheel there is a squecking to somewhat grinding noise coming from my front end.. almost as if from right behind the steering wheel (wondering if this has to do to the fact that i have to change my driver side from control arms and tie rod ends). also when i put on my heat or AC car makes a high pitched hum for a while then it goes away. Any have any ideas to what these are?
yeah that was power steering fluid being low.... alot of people lately it seems have been having that issue

Old 03-17-2008, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

yea I realized that today while going through some of the latest posts. feels good to figure that out myself seeing only had a car for a month now.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

hey that high pitch humming sound when you turn your AC is similar to mine. But it's when i turn the heat on. It happens if i just started the car and take it off "auto" mode and increase air speed. After the temp rises, it stops tho. I dont really like to increase the air speed when the car is still cold since it will be blowing cold air in anyway. So i kinda just brushed it aside cuz i wait till temp warms up.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: vgo

hey that high pitch humming sound when you turn your AC is similar to mine. But it's when i turn the heat on. It happens if i just started the car and take it off "auto" mode and increase air speed. After the temp rises, it stops tho. I dont really like to increase the air speed when the car is still cold since it will be blowing cold air in anyway. So i kinda just brushed it aside cuz i wait till temp warms up.
that's a perfect description of what happens to mine. Think i'll just do like you and wait for the car to heat up before I turn up the fan higher.