B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Speakers/ Head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Speakers/ Head unit

Head unit: I have done a head unit install before but never on an Audi. Any heads up for taking panel around radio off so I dont break stuff?

Speakers: My front two are blown and rears are ok. I've never swapped speakers before. Is there an amp for the speakers in these cars? Can I power the ones I replace with the head unit and leave rears powered by amp? Im gonna buy 2 way components and replace tweeters too. Do I have to do something to make the new speakers powered by head unit instead of amp besides just plug them in? I heard the bolt holes wont line up. Can I just tap some holes? Or is there an adapter you can buy?

Tips for taking off door panels without destruction are also very welcome.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

I wouldn't bother replacing the tweeters. When I did my front, I had cut off the bracket off the OEM speaker, then sandwiched it with the new aftermarket speaker(it was a 4" replacement). Pretty much a direct bolt-on.

I would draw u a picture, but I hope u understand what I'm trying to say.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

So you didnt have to do anything but plug it in and screw it into existing holes?

I also found this: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...speaker-94428/

So Ill probably try check out the speakers before I buy new ones. Still getting a new head unit regardless. So any tips on taking off the trim and panel around the radio? Dont want to damage anything.

Edit: I prefer this over coaxial : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-SPR-5...492#vi-content

So I'll be replacing the tweeters too if/when I buy these speakers.

Or are the bose 2 ohm and it wont O_o?

Last edited by Sheasta; 05-12-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

For the trim, for the single din radios, I believe there are small sorta like clips in all corner and in the middle of edges. Some are so brittle its bound to break off.

If you look at that diagram in the first link, I snipped off the frame from the OEM speaker, then slid the frame over the new speaker to sandwich it to mount it on the door. Yes, I used existing screw holes.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 AM

best way to make them fit is cut the ring off the oem speaker and make an adaptor. just plug your fronts in to the existing wiring for now the car has its own amp that will be fine unless you redo the whole system. but the bose 2ohms are hard to match its best just to replace with oem bose. you won't see any gains with aftermarket

Old 05-13-2012, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

I think the alpines would be better then the bose. Atleast be more bassy. So your saying id have to get another amp and new rear speakers too?

Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 PM

theres no point in amping a set of speakers because it will just be louder than the others and sound weird. you would have to do a full system new rears and new fronts you can hook them up to the bose amp and make noise or you can go independent amp and speakers. the best for sound quality is obviously a full system aim/speakers/head unit.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Well I want to have quallity and loudness mostly good base without distortion and without adding a sub and 30 + pounds to the car. So if thats the way to go I might get new fronts and rears and an amp to go with it. My only problem with that are there are only 4 speakers (6 counting 2 tweeters) in the car and theyre all relatively small. 5 1/4 fronts fine. But none in the back doors at all? And in the back under rear windshield shouldnt there be bigger ones? Like 6 1/2 not the same little 5 1/4 as the front? I dont think Ill be able to get the sound im looking for with four 5 1/4s and two tweeters.

Last edited by Sheasta; 05-13-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Seems like you don't have Bose. The Bose system and wiring came with speakers in the rear doors. There's a wiring diagram floating around somewhere showing that.

Check out www.crutchfield.com to help with your selections.

Verify first that you do have Bose. They say that when you first turn on your radio it will read out "Bose" on the display.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

I just thought they all had bose. If I dont have bose thatd be great. Easier to replace speakers dont have to worry about that 2 0hm- 4ohm b.s hopefully. If theres bose theres an amp..... where would that amp be hiding?

Quick Reply: Speakers/ Head unit