B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Speaker upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Speaker upgrade help

Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum and a first time Audi owner.
I've recently purchased a 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport and love it. I'm quite happy with the factory fitted sound system and since finding the hidden equaliser on the symphony headunit i've got it sounding better but i'm just wondering if it's worth upgrading the speaker system running off the head unit to get better sound and bass. It has a 4 speaker setup I think consisting of Front components and two in the parcel shelf. Haven't checked the rear doors but don't think it has any. I've noticed that the low Bass causes a bit of distortion on the factory speakers and was hoping to eliminate this with an upgrade and also get a better clearer sound from the components. Can anyone suggest a good working setup and provide me with some tried and tested speakers i could consider for the front and rear. I don't really want to remove the symphony system as I as I want to keep it as standard as possible and not bothered about amps and subs, just want a better sound with clearer bass.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 AM
4th Gear

Here is a huge tip... I'm not sure about the 00, but my 99.5 non-Bose set up had a built in amp on the rear (driver side if I remember correctly) speaker. If you swap out speakers, you need to add a small amp to power the rear speakers, or you'll have almost no sound out of the back speakers no matter how loud you turn up the head set.

Also, you should have 6 speakers total, don't forget the little tweeters in the front doors as well...

Oh yeah, almost forgot... Welcome to the forums. Check the stickies at the top of the threads page and in there somewhere is a good write up and wiring diagram to help you get through this process...

Last edited by bradtyler02; 11-12-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: forgot the "welcome"
Old 11-12-2009, 04:04 PM
3rd Gear

You aren't really going to get much bass from just speakers, even turning up the bass setting will just distort the sound anyway. Pick up a small bass tube or a 10" sub and tune it to your liking, if not you'll just have good mids and highs with no bass, or distorted mids and highs with cheap sounding bass. Generally speaking.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

how to install An amp and sub on a 2000 A4 with symphany stereo system.

I completly removed the rear amp, remove the upper lid to have more work space with the wires and remove the protective tape thats around the wires, what you need to do is get a volt meter analog/digital doesnt matter, i used an analog volt meter, find your power wire, keep the car off pull out the volt meter and find out which is power, write it down, then turn on the car and turn on your stereo, find the remote line, to make sure, the remote will not have power if car is off.

tap off your power line saftly so it doesnt short anything out.

to find what speakers wires go where, you need a spare speaker, garbage or not it will do the job. i used one from an old computer. turn the car on and put some music on, now to find out if negative or positive, the sound will sound different if you connect them wrong, if connected wrong they will sound a little echo or faint. then find left and right and just by the tune to the left rear and see which wire goes where and same for right.

My speaker wiring for my 2000 1.8T A4 with the syphany system goes as

White=Remote

Red/Blue=Power

Blue/Green= + Left

Blue/Red=+Right

Yellow/red=Negative

Yellow/Red=Negative

Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 AM
1st Gear

Ok, so once all that is done how do you go about connecting the amp and sub etc!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 AM
4th Gear

Take it to a professional, or have a knowledgable buddy help you...

As far as I know, there is nothing special about installing an amp and sub in an Audi, so anyone with a little experience should be able to help you out...

Old 11-13-2009, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

I am telling you how to find the wiring and such, if you don't know how to connect a sub or amp, you should have someone else do it.