B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Spacer opinion pleasee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
4th Gear
Exclamation Spacer opinion pleasee!!!!!!!!!!!!

OKay i posted in the b6 thread and well to say the least that thread is dead. No one ever responds so someone please info. I have a 2003 1.8t stock suspension i have 19Inch 35mm offset august union rims. I want to throw some spacers on and was wonderin 15mm would do the trick? Also would i need hubcentric or what? I plan on ordering them from ecstunning so they should fit correct. Give me sum insight.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear

if you go lugcentric instead of hubcentric you can/will get alot of vibration above 40mph. why do you need spacers? are you rubbing somewhere? 15mm spacers will throw your camber out of spec.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:05 PM

spacers are a bad Idea imo....if you just space the rears you will get even worse understeer....15mm spacers will also increase wear on your suspension....especially tour wheel bearings...if you do decide to go with spacers...make sure they are hubcentric....and I would not suggest going larger than 8mm....

I would not recommend spacers...but if you need them for a rubbing issue than go with the smallest you can...no need to increase wear...parts on these cars are too expensive to conciously provoke failure....

well, gl!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 PM
4th Gear

im not racing my car i just want the wheels in the back to stick out a lil more. So ur saying that everyone who has 10mm and more spacers cars are screwed? I see so many people with them on and they all say it runs fine? i dont understand who is right and wrong

Old 09-27-2008, 03:44 AM

it may look fine, but they are wearing out there tires quicker because the alignment is not in spec.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear

As soon as I saw your name I figured the B6 section was dead. Lol. I'm running 15's and 10's on the B5 and so far so good. I know a few B6 guys that run 20's just to be sitting a tiny tad wider than flush with the fender. Beware! If your tire is flush with the fender you may rub on the outside with weight in the back. My alignment is perfect and so is kwik_shift's B6 with 20mm's and 8.5's rears. You'll be safe with just good spacers (H&R gets my only vote) and correct size lugbolts.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

OK I'm still a newb so correct me if I'm wrong. With spacers, wouldn't you be pushing the inside wheel and pulling the outside wheel when turning? If that makes any sense?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
im not racing my car i just want the wheels in the back to stick out a lil more. So ur saying that everyone who has 10mm and more spacers cars are screwed? I see so many people with them on and they all say it runs fine? i dont understand who is right and wrong
racing or not your going to chew thru your tires faster. also, i dont know the laws where you are, but in my state, its illegal to have your wheels stick out past the fender.

all the other cars you are talking about are audis? other cars dont have our 4 link suspension. audis dont have camber adjustment without aftermarket parts. you can move the engine cradle to even out the camber between the sides, but you cant do anything to actualy zero in the wheels. the larger the spacer you put on, the less time your tires will last. if you dont mind replacing your rubber every 10k miles, then throw some 20mms on there.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 PM
4th Gear

cops around where i live dont seem to care much. I have 5% tint all the way around and have been pulled over a few times never mentioned a word about tint. i had trouble gettin my sticker but now i got a guy to do that for me. most of the cars ive seen that have spacers are on audizine and audiworld. Ive seen some dudes that have 20mm even one guy that had like 35mm it stuck out way to much and looked stupid. euro 2nr do u got ne pics of ur carro with the spacers. Im not sure wether to go 15 or 17.5 or 20mm? my car already rubs up in front with my rims so i drive slow everywhere now anyway. And i got a system in the back and my car only sits about 3cm lower then it orginally did. I had a poweracoustik **** in there with a custom box that weighed bout 65 pounds and my car didnt rub so im not worried bout rubbin i just want to get the right look that im going for. I plan on gettin h & r so send me a pic of what u got. Yea and the b6 forum is horrible.

Last edited by pa4ul; 09-27-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:26 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
cops around where i live dont seem to care much. I have 5% tint all the way around and have been pulled over a few times never mentioned a word about tint. i had trouble gettin my sticker but now i got a guy to do that for me. most of the cars ive seen that have spacers are on audizine and audiworld. Ive seen some dudes that have 20mm even one guy that had like 35mm it stuck out way to much and looked stupid. euro 2nr do u got ne pics of ur carro with the spacers. Im not sure wether to go 15 or 17.5 or 20mm? my car already rubs up in front with my rims so i drive slow everywhere now anyway. And i got a system in the back and my car only sits about 3cm lower then it orginally did. I had a poweracoustik **** in there with a custom box that weighed bout 65 pounds and my car didnt rub so im not worried bout rubbin i just want to get the right look that im going for. I plan on gettin h & r so send me a pic of what u got. Yea and the b6 forum is horrible.
Sorry but I don't have any pictures. Every post I've ever posted on AF has been on a Sidekick phone so I can't upload pics and stuff. I say 15mm will fit fine if your rims are 8.5 to 9.5 wide. Go on AZ I know a buncha guys (a4ringedone 8, ravi etc) are running spacers but don't know their specs. They should provide pics with more detail. And it might wear out a few thousand miles, but you decide wether the look is worth it or not. I might go with 4 sets in my cars lifetime so I don't mind having that bad-*** look for a small expense

Quick Reply: Spacer opinion pleasee!!!!!!!!!!!!