B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Somebody who knows Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Somebody who knows Audi

I need some friendly advice/help. I am in search of a car, an Audi I am hoping. You guys know your cars and know where to find what you need for your cars. I am having trouble as I am Canadian and in Ontario. I am asking if you could help me and lead me to Canadian forums, best sites to buy an audi in Canada etc, anything that may help me find a good used Audi. I am desperate as I need a car by next tues as the loaner from my accident goes back. cheers all and hope to hear from you.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Legal Moderator

most people are from the US on here so finding help buying a car in canadia might not be easy. with that that, if you want help finding a car in Minnesota, I'd be happy to help

Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 AM
2nd Gear

I buy/sell a lot of cars on Craigs List. I see there are quite a few regional CL sites in Ontario. Might be a good place to start.

Last edited by mtroxel; 01-02-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys need some advice about my a6

Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Ok then I have. 2008 a6 s line tdi 140 bhp
When I do an full lock I get an Shaking from the car
Any idea what it be control arms or power pump or rack

Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear

I spent a good 3 months looking for my B5, there's a 0.0001% chance that you'll find a nice one by next tuesday. If you're actually serious about buying one, check out kijiji. Craigslist is useless since there's nothing there that hasn't been posted elsewhere, and autotrader is more suited for dealerships selling $10k+ cars. But do your research, don't just jump into it because chances are you're gonna get sold a lemon.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Isti
Ok then I have. 2008 a6 s line tdi 140 bhp
When I do an full lock I get an Shaking from the car
Any idea what it be control arms or power pump or rack
For a quicker response to your question, try posting in the A6 Forum. This is the A4 B5 Forum for cars produced from 1995 until 2001.5.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

I'm Canadian - Manitoban. I bought my A4 from a friend of the family. A very wealthy man who I thought would have taken very good care of the vehicle. He did, for the most part. But there were some maintenance things that were neglected. I've learned while owning this car that these vehicles are fairly temperamental. If you are hoping to buy an older A4, either expect to pay out lots to shops, or else learn how to do the work yourself. These forums have lots of DIYs and the members are always willing to give directions when you can't find a DIY.

When car shopping, it's always good to be patient and take your time finding a good car. Especially with older Audis. Thoroughly test drive the car before you buy it, and make sure you take it on the highway. Drive the vehicle how you would if you owned it, don't worry about how the current owner would drive it (i.e. if you plan on ripping around, then rip it while test driving. Who cares if the other guy drove it slow; you want to make sure it is up to snuff). If possible, ask for receipts for maintenance done, and ask as many questions as you can think of.

And in Canada, always make sure it has a recent safety. If it isn't safetied, I would stay away because you could easily be buying a money pit. Beware extremely low-priced cars when comparing to others of similar year/mileage. If they are selling it for much cheaper, there is likely something they are trying to hide. Not always, but be careful.

I'm sure there's more to say, but that's all I have for now.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

+1 on advice from soulstep. Excellent comments on what to look for and how to shop.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by soulstep
don't worry about how the current owner would drive it (i.e. if you plan on ripping around, then rip it while test driving. Who cares if the other guy drove it slow; you want to make sure it is up to snuff).
I beat the living **** out of a car when I test drive it. You aren't going to find that funny little vibration while Driving Ms. Daisy.