B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

some more Bullsh*t in the audi, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 PM
1st Gear

ok, this is some serious bullshit!!! ok, how come it only half of the enigne misfired though, i was thinking that maybe it was just that the timming was thrown off, because im looking at the engine and the timing belt is still on and it didn't move at all, maybe u think its just that the timing is off?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 30vQuattro
OK THIS IS REALLY SOME BULL!!!! ok so i took it to my mechanic and he got it running, he said he heard a weird noise coming form the timing belt though, ok so the iddler/ tensioner busted and all the ball bearings fell out. sooo the timing belt lost all tension and baaaaammm, possible The piston and some valves kissed! bullshit, now i have to get the engine rebuilt! ok this is the worst part, ti had just got the timming belt donne about 600 miles ago, and i changed everything, timing belt, roller, tensioner, water pump crank seals.. everything! even the front mount! sooo right now im really reay hoping that no valves got bent!

Oh bro, I feel for you. I just went through this less than a month ago. Mine lasted 30K miles at least. 600??? Who installed the TB kit? If it was you, who manufactured the kit and where did you buy it? There may be a problem in the manufacturing of this crap.

On the up side, if that is the case, you are NOT necessarily looking at an engine rebuild!! I was not, and I was driving mine when the ball bearings came out if the relay roller ("pulley" on the driver side down by the crank). Take a look at my thread here:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...38&postcount=7

for the pictures of the relay roller and missing ball bearings. They were all over the front of the engine in little crevices that I had to use a magnetic pencil to get them all out.

Mine threw no codes, but made one helluva racket when the engine was running.

Last edited by Mlaubach; 08-22-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Site Moderator

Now im really confused, does your engine still run? Does it crank and sound like it has no compression or what? If the belt is snapped it will turn over but it will sound really weird. It usually snaps at the crank so the belt would still be around the cams, you would have to crank the engine while looking at the cams to know if the belt is snapped because they won't move.
I would definately hit up the shop you took it to for crappy work, most shops guarantee their work at least for a few thousand miles.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

Ok, first the car still runs, but it runs like ****! it sounds like its running on 3 cyl's it cranks just fine right now, second, i bought the parts form Ebay, it was an all german kit, the huge problem is that they guarantee their part and if it breaks they replace it but, if their part ruins your engine ur fuucked! and yeah thats exactly what mine looks like, except it's not that one its the one in the middle, i guess it would be the tensioner.. does that make a difference?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah, the engine probably won't run if the timing belt slipped enough to hit the valves. My guess is you had one of the cams off a couple of teeth when doing the timing belt which won't necessarily cause a fault code, but when the tensioner broke it made it go off in timing more than a few degrees which would cause your problems. What you need to do is the timing belt job again. I don't believe you bent any valves. Of course a compression test or CLT test will confirm that.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Banned

It's all starting to come together.... Did you do the timing belt yourself? If you miss timed one of the cams, then there is your reason why one whole bank is miss firing. I'm sure one to two teeth of the belt off, and you won't be happy as far as running, but as far as piston interference goes I don't know. You always mark sprocket to belt with white mark pens (on both cams and crank). Line up new belt to old belt and transfer marks to be lined up on sprockets when you put the new belt on. Then double check timing correctness by lining up according to the manual. It is a method I have developed over the many Audi/VW cars I have worked on, and has never let me down. Leak down test on the miss firing bank to check the valve seating. And maybe scoop the inside of the combustion chamber for marks on the pistons. If all is good, re-time and enjoy.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

I bought the cam alignment tool and have used that MANY times over the past two years for work on the car. No marking belts or cam gears, and when my relay roller ball bearings went, I used the cam alignment tool to get them were they should be once I was close to TDC. I was likely missing only a few degrees in my mishap since I know the cams were timed properly. If you had gotten it off a few degrees, and then a few more because of the tensioner roller, then who knows?

I'd still do the TB job again and turn it over by hand listening very carefully for odd noises, then start it up and see what happens. If the motor has bent one thing or another, it is too late already. Try to do this as economically as possible - engines ain't cheap.

Martin, where are you? Someone might offer to help out in exchange for adult beverage.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

I'm in lakeland, FL and yeah i'd really appreciate some help, im really getting tired of spendind so much money! I already did a new tranny for this car this year, and that wasent cheap either!... so you think that maybe theres a chance that it's just that the timing is just off and thats why the car isn't runnning on all cilinders? because it's kinda weird that it's only Bank one.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

There is always a chance of everything. It just comes down to degrees. Like, I have a chance that Jessica Alba will knock on my door wearing lingerie and high heels - it's a one in what's one millionth of a million? chance, but it "could" happen.

Seriously though, I'd do the timing belt and make sure it is on properly (use the tools) and see where it gets you. Worst case scenario is that when you start it, the engine makes bad noises. REALLY bad noises. It was screwed anyway.

the real question is this - what sort of noise did you hear when it was running. I swear when my roller went, it sounded like a troll doll had a mace (stick - chain - metal spiked ball) and was swinging it around in the engine bay hitting things. If you did not have that sound, I'd be curious.

The belt did not break though, right? Presuming it did NOT break, get the crank at TDC and take the stuff off, then get the cams aligned and replace the parts. Mine were at 30K miles, so I did a complete TB kit including waterpump and t-stat. AT 600 miles, I'd just replace the roller that was bad. Maybe.

I say maybe because if this "stuff" lasted 600 miles, I'd not trust it (unless you installed it with a 4 foot breaker bar). But I understand money issues too, so it really is your call. Both my kits were made by Ruville, not sure who makes the eBay kit you got.

When you did the belt last time (sorry, but I've got to ask), you did loosen the bolts in the center of the cam gear (or sprocket) and pop the gear from the cam using a 2 or 3-jaw puller, right? If not, this is the vital step that was missed and can explain why the timing was off on one bank. If you did not do this, the when you had the tensioner take up the slack, the timing got off. The loosening of the gear allows the gear to turn to where it wants to, and then by tightening up the bolt, it locks the gear to the cam again, but the cams are perfectly aligned (be sure to pretension the tensioner as well before tightening the bolts).

Let us know the above and we'll go from there.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

when you get bank misfires...its the cam tensioner....depending on your engine you mignt need one or two? each cost 700.00 and the labor might be about the same. So to let you know it IS THE CAM TENIONSER OR the adjuster...its all the cam bull...its going to cost you alot but w.e. man this **** happens to every one..and audi is a dope car...but ******* expensive to fix...