B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Some Advice on what I should do.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Default Some Advice on what I should do.....

I'm going away for Boot camp soon and wanted to know on things I should do with the car before leaving it at home for 3 months.
Ex: fluids, body and paint protection, etc...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:31 PM

any help?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:46 PM

well for paint protection, a wash and wax, then buy a car cover to throw over it before you leave so no dust can settle.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gabeguimaraes
I'm going away for Boot camp soon and wanted to know on things I should do with the car before leaving it at home for 3 months.
Ex: fluids, body and paint protection, etc...
sorta off topic, but which branch? USMC I'm thinking, since every other branch calls it basic training, and the corps is the only one that takes 3 months to get through.

as for what u should do. full tank of gas w/ Stabil in it will make a difference. I'd give it a thorough cleaning and waxing, car cover would do wonders too. And if you have a garage, keep it parked in there.

3 months isn't a super long time to leave it sitting parked though, so you should be ok.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:27 AM

Yea USMC. It just spooks me thinking that my car won't be driven for 3 MONTHS. I'll have my dad turn it on once in awhile. I don't have a garage =/ so I guess I'll be shopping for a car cover now....Thanks.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:53 AM
4th Gear

In addition, go to a Marine (boats, not USMC) store and pick up a can of engine fogger. Spray a little in each spark plug hole.

Good Luck, have fun, and thanks.

Jim
USN - Disabled Vet

Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Gas stabilizer is a good idea as well - fill the tank and add that to it. Keep the tank full while you're gone so there isn't room for water to separate out, and the stabilizer can help keep the gas from breaking down over time and varnishing in the tank and lines. You may want to add extra air to the tires too - get 'em pumped up nice and round and solid.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

and if you can help it, leave it parked on concrete or asphalt. if you have to park it in the grass, go buy 4 12" square concrete pavers, 16" works too. leaving it on the dirt will dry rot your tires quicker.

and have fun on the island. injury sent me back home back in 2001, I shipped in June and came back home in August. Humidity is killer, but it gets so damn hot the bugs all burrow in the sand. Best friend is still in the Corps though, out in Iraq right now. I've considered rejoining, been to see recruiters twice since then, but then I had a daughter, and then it was too much of a cut on pay... I still make more on unemployment than I would down there just for boot... and i got bills to pay and a family to feed :-/

Have fun, don't do anything stupid, make sure not to do any drugs before you leave (you will get caught, and they do send you home, watched em drop like flies), keep your mouth shut, do what your told, and don't volunteer for anything. Only exception is that first day when you finally get your actual drill instructors, because he doles out the positions for guide and squad leaders, religious leaders, etc. Volunteering beyond that doesn't earn you suck up points, and usually it is the most miserable things you can ever imagine.

One final advice, don't **** of your squad leader or guide. Especially if you like sleep. May be the only real power they have.

Last edited by munkydotorg; 04-25-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:51 PM

Engine fogger? You sure? Never heard of it but I'll look it up. Ok, I'll stop by the auto parts store for the gas stabil and does anyone know where I can get a cheap cover for my car?

Lol humidity has been part of my life everyday, I come from Brazil and live in Florida for 8 years... Also, Obama was nice enough to give the military a raise and plus I'm going in as an E-2 so pay actually won't be that bad. I'm just really looking forward to that last day when I can say I'm a Marine and the journey I'm in for.

I REALLY appreciate the advice! Semper Fi =)

Old 04-25-2009, 02:18 PM
4th Gear

Engine fogger? You sure? Never heard of it but I'll look it up.
Something like this. Might find it at a Farm and Fleet too.
http://us.binnacle.com/product_info....oducts_id=1107

Change the oil. Fill the tank with gas and Stabil, drive it around the block a few times to get the Stabil into the fuel system and injectors. Let the car cool, pull the plugs and spray the fogger in, crank engine over a few times with plugs still removed and spray fogger again. Replace plugs and wires. Disconnect battery (or use a maintainer), clean the car inside and out and wax, wipe the tires with protectant, cover car, fill the tires up to about 40 psi, and your set.

I left my car like this for more than 10 months at Norfolk, VA. (high humidity/salt air) while in the Persian Gulf. When I came back, I was the only one who started, had air in the tires, and drove off the lot

Quick Reply: Some Advice on what I should do.....