B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Soldering apr DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Soldering apr DIY

Got a friend who took a college course and has some experience soldering, Its doable intsalling a 93 oct apr chip this way or should it be done by APR?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Soldering apr DIY

Have it done by someone who knows what they're doing (no offense to your friend). I've soldered for years, but when I went to get my solder certification at work (aerospace/defense company), it was a whole new ball of wax. Soldering on a circuit board is nothing like soldering stereo wires together - there's a very good chance of measling the board, lifting pads, etc. Find a local electronics shop (not a Radio Shack) and ask them if they do PCB solder work, or if they have a recommendation on who to use. Locally, Unicorn Electronics (a store here in town) has a guy that they refer customers to, and he does a great job on this kind of stuff. A shop near you probably has a similar arrangement.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Oh yea, wicked thanks for the advice, So a local solder shop would be able to do her up good, going to apr is not neccessary?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator

I assume you're buying it used from someone who needs their own ECU still. You should be fine finding someone who is PCB-experienced - if they have aerospace experience, that's even better, since the standards are so much higher. But anyone with PCB experience should be able to handle it - just be sure that you explain that it's for your car, and it's a sensitive setup, so you'd appreciate any extra care they would give it Oh, and it's worth tipping them too, if it works out well. The local guy here charges $30 to socket a board and install a chip. When you get it back, put it in, and if it's working very well, drive over and see the guy and give him an extra few bucks or a case of beer or something

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Cool sounds wicked!!! So happy not to have to get it done at a 3rd partystealership!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

I found a place like u said but it seems they do not have a bunch of EXP working on car. Anyone know where the chip is soldered on the ECU, and if and what needs to be removed before the aftermarket chip can be solderin on? Thanks