B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

So Was Wondering About This.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:50 PM
1st Gear
Default So Was Wondering About This.....

I have a 1998 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5 Speed.....I was wondering about the Viper Car Alarm with a built in Turbo Timer and if it is a good option to get? Is a turbo timer a good thing for our Audi's?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

Most people would suggest to stay away from the timers, simply take your last 5min of driving nice and easy. As for the alarm system, is their anything your interested in without the built in timer.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by george1546
Most people would suggest to stay away from the timers, simply take your last 5min of driving nice and easy. As for the alarm system, is their anything your interested in without the built in timer.
Yeah I was just thinking about like if I am in a hurry and on it then get to the place and need say to be at work lol when I get a job lol....I normally just let the car run a little after I part before I shut it off....I would like a nice alarm because I have had a car stolen once before in my life. Thanks

Old 03-08-2013, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

If you have a stock k03 turbo (stock psi) in my opinion the timer is not necessary even if you push it a bit before you shut it off.

Sorry to hear about the stolen car, I don't know anything about which alarms to choose from but would suggest with one that has been fitted on an Audi b5 before. MAybe a mates car etc. This way you can get at least some feedback.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 AM

If your getting the alarm anyways, might as well just wire up the turbo timer. The only reason, people say stay away from the turbo timer is because its a waste of money. If you already have it then go for it.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear

AudiWorld Tech Articles then ctrl+F and search "turbo timer". If you wanted to do a alarm install, for a little more effort (or quite a bit more effort, depending on how you look at it, everything you would need for an alarm is in the trunk whereas a starter you would have to get under the drivers kick panel) you could make it a remote starter (and generally the viper starters have a built in turbo timer feature).

I remember reading something about how our turbos have journal bearings instead of ball bearings or something and that you dont need to worry about a cool down.. dont know if that is true or not but you could do a search. I do like letting my car cool down after a hard drive either way, though.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
4th Gear

Turbo Timers are just a gimmick, there is no reason to leave a daily driver running that long after it has been parked. Who in their right mind drives WOT on a city street and into a parking lot to slam on the brakes and jumps out? What are you running from the law and if so why in the world would you give a crap about the car at that point.

I see turbo charged drag cars shut off at the end of the track all the time and they aren't running turbo timers. lol

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 03-08-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Well Was Just Wondering

I know that I don't WOT all the time but, just my friends have them and I saw that Viper Alarms come with one built in to the system.

I know it is an Audi and the turbo is built good

Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jeremy Decker
I know that I don't WOT all the time but, just my friends have them and I saw that Viper Alarms come with one built in to the system.

I know it is an Audi and the turbo is built good
If all your friends date ugly girls does that mean you will too?

A turbo timer is just something people buy/use because they think it makes them look cool. It really doesn't do much other then waste gas.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
If all your friends date ugly girls does that mean you will too?

A turbo timer is just something people buy/use because they think it makes them look cool. It really doesn't do much other then waste gas.
Funny **** lol no and I have a Brazilian so hmmm....I think that it would help out in the cooling stages because I am going to up grade it to a K4 after I fix the CV Axles and the Viper one comes with one so it would be both alarm and timer.

Quick Reply: So Was Wondering About This.....