B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

So... What is this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Clearly, thats a whistle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzw_...eature=related

They go "Woo woo!" in case you haven't heard.

But seriously, what RPM do you notice it? If it's only under load, and only over a certain speed or RPM of the engine, it might not be the turbo at all.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cory Smith
But seriously, what RPM do you notice it? If it's only under load, and only over a certain speed or RPM of the engine, it might not be the turbo at all.
under load, and not sure of the revs, but it kicks in at a higher level, if I had to guess I'd say 4k.

I just received a buch of stuff I ordered from ECS:

Plugs (they are due)
Cam Follower (just in case, I am going to be under the bonnet anyway)
PCV kit (known failure)
Diverter Valve (possible known failure, although I may be equipped with revision D already)

If the replacement of DV and EGR don't eliminate it, I suppose I'll take it in.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

well I put this on there: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-...Kit/ES1844198/ Then I saw some guys on some other forums talking about potential "blow by" and ruining the oil viscosity, and therefore your motor :idk: fuckit.

I was mistakenly calling PCV and EGR the same. I suppose I thought I was ordering a replacement kit for the system, and surprised that I got 2 hoses and a valve. :idk: fuckit

Whistle is gone. The consumate pessimist I am still supposes the original problem is intermittent though, and not related to this, and will return...I don't know. first test drive out, it seemed like the whistle was still there, but less prominent...today it seems nice and quiet.

I didn't put the new DV on...I seriously don't think I can get to it...some guys say they have, but dayum...I got no idea how, without removing the cooling fans at the very least :idk:fuckit

Also saw some guys saying don't gap iridium plugs, they are pre-gapped....well if that's so, then they are pre-gapped shittily. 2 NKG were gapped to 32, and 2 were gapped to 31, so screw it, I gapped them all to 29 or so. fuckit.

what else....plug install was a snap, almost too easy, I was surprised how deep they sit in there.

got the oil changed...mobil1 0w-40 and a mobil1 filter.

Didn't do the cam follower yet, but next time under the hood I will check it out.

Happy DIY'ing. :wave:

Last edited by SlackJaw; 10-12-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by waltma70
Agreed - I don't think it's the turbo since it doesn't sound like all of the "death whine" videos that I have researched on youtube. Also, I cannot hear it when the car is revving in neutral (i.e. no load scenario).

How long do these K03 turbo's tend to last under normal driving conditions? I'm still an extreme newb with this car.

Yeah thats what I think, I just dunno if it's hot side or cold side.

That seems easy to check, just have to get a pressure line and an adapter.

I will try to check all of these things when I am home next weekend. The car is down for the moment anyway since the cluster is getting refurbished. Good opportunity to do Air/Fuel filter change next weekend.
well, my k03 and engine have 181k on them, still running strong, and on 20psi daily driven