B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

So I'm doing my control arms, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:49 AM
3rd Gear

I took the whole damn suspension set-up out from both sides of the car and worked on them in a workshop. Many people stated that this was overkill, but in the long run, it worked out great. I had plenty of room to work on everything.....including the pinch bolt.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Nevalite
Does the FCP Groton kit not come with a new pinch bolt?
I dunno about the full kit... I got the kit for the uppers and it did not.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 AM

damn, you guys must live places with some nasty weather. I just did mine like 4k miles ago and it was easy. no build up, corrosion or sticky bolts even with 200,000 miles. but I live in a desert...

Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 AM
2nd Gear

I'm from Quebec, where the roads are covered with snow and ridiculous amounts of salt half the year. I can guarantee my pinch bolt is going to be a bitch to remove lol.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator

The full FCP kit does include new pinch bolts for the upper arms and the spindle-TRE joint. And yeah - you're in Quebec, so count on having to earn this one. It's not gonna just fall out. For me, it was take the nut off, then thread it back onto the end of the bolt, pry the pinches open, torch the hell out of it (it was pre-soaked with Kroil first), then wail on it with tge sledge. Repeat as needed.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

i live in northeastern pa. the roads are ridiculous here. i had to get the pinches out a couple weekends ago cause i was lowering the car they came out without a real problem. to bad i didn't realize that my uppers were shot otherwise i would have done it all at once. but let me know how that fcp kit turns out for you i ordered it on friday. hope to have it in by tuesday.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Audacity, I've had mine in for six weeks or so and have put about 2700 miles on it - I'm very happy with it. I suspect you will be too.

Second, where in PA are you? You gonna join us this weekend at the meet?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Slut

Heres a few additional things that noone said yet.
-Do not over tighten the bolts that go through the bushings. You will put added stress on them and they will tear over time.
-Try to get the arms in at the same angle as the ones you took out were.
-Be careful using penetrant and a torch at the same time, that **** is very flammable.
-On the tie rod ends, set them up as close as possible to the old ones. This will make alignment possible and much easier.
** Finally, do one side at a time so you can always look at the other one as a reference. This will help alot especially because its your first time doing this.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the tips!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Audacity, I've had mine in for six weeks or so and have put about 2700 miles on it - I'm very happy with it. I suspect you will be too.

Second, where in PA are you? You gonna join us this weekend at the meet?
Not to thread jack but...

Meet this weekend in NY? The big one?

Quick Reply: So I'm doing my control arms, advice?