B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

So I went to change the air filter...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 PM
1st Gear
Default So I went to change the air filter...

Man is that a PAIN! I have an 01 with the 1.8t quattro. Anyways when I went to get the AF, I picked up the 710N valve just in case I felt like putting it in. So, I put in the new AF and decided to put in the 710N valve and thought to myself.... I might as well do an oil change while I am under here changing the DV. So a couple hours later, new A/F, upgraded DV, and an oil change. Oh, and this morning I had the shop do my brake fluid service. (not something I wanted to mess with, and they were running a special)

I hope my car is happy! I am not typically one for doing my own work, but with the pricing the way it is, I feel like I have to.... and I've always been around repair shops and know what needs to be done, just never felt like doing it until now.

Am I supposed to be able to notice any difference with the new dv? My car came with the APR 91 octane tune, but it still had the stock dv.

Thanks for all of the help this site has!!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator

You should see the car holding boost more under higher revs and a heavier foot if the stock DV was losing the battle and leaking. Make sure your plugs are gapped down to .028" though or you'll probably misfire.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Interesting... are there any plugs come at that gap, or do they all have to be re-gapped for the added psi? (I know I should search, and I will) thanks for your input!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Administrator

One of the chip tuning distributors may sell them that way but otherwise you'll have to do it (may as well gap down a new set and install them). The reasoning for the smaller gap is that the additional boost pressure makes it harder for the spark to jump the gap. By shortening the pathway via the smaller gap, you allow the ignition system to work as it needs to despite the additional pressure in the cylinders.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

Because regapping spark plugs is such a costly and time consuming process its not worth it man (really?)

Old 10-24-2009, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

I don't know what you're talking about pj.... I was already planning on replacing the plugs since I don't know exactly when it was done last, and my question was leaning more towards "are there any that already come at that gap?" since that woud just make sense to buy something that is already set up correctly. I think it would be kind of silly to pull out and regap the old ones not knowing their age and put them back in. Thanks for your insightful response though...........

To ImTheDevil: Thanks for your feedback, I will look into what plugs people are running and go from there. I appreciate your willing to teach and explain your reasoning.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Guru

NGK's are good. Champions are junk. Bosch is decent.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:03 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, I found this guide a while back: http://www.audigeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=56.0 Devil's right about the gap. The high pressure can snuff the spark, so you gotta re-gap. I'm running NGK BKR6E. You want copper though, the newer material (the name of which escapes me now) doesn't dissapate heat quickly enough for higher boost cars. You'll get some pre-detonation and misfires. (Not for certain, but they're cheap so why not) The downside is you'll be changing plugs every 3-5k. I just do mine with the oil. I did feel maybe one to two extra ponies though, it just felt beefier and meaner if that makes sense. Deeper exhaust note (slightly) and some more street burning anger under the hood. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

That's some really good info guy's!! Seriously, I appreciate it! I will look around tomorrow and get some plugs to put in, I don't want any pre-detonation stuff in this car... my supercharged civic si taught me some lessons in that area! (yes, I was a honda guy at one time.... I am over it). Thanks again everyone

Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

That's a good link kayakman13.... I went out and got the BKR6E. I was tempted to get the 7E's but since it is winter I figured I will try the 6E's and see how they do. Also, I only have the mild APR tune and I don't know what it changes the boost to so I figured I should be safe with the 6E's.... and I have read my share of people using both plugs and having different chips and being fine. So, when the motor cools the plugs will go in! I also got some dielectric grease and anti-seize for peace of mind... and I got one of the spark plug sockets that has rubber in it

Quick Reply: So I went to change the air filter...