B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

So I might be out....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

Look into a Chevy Suburban. Pretty easy to work on and seem to go forever. We have been very happy with ours.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I like the fact suburbans are easy to work on but they jsut seem too big. Like it was the first car I learned how to drive on, and we still have it, but damn that things a boat.

And Im surprised too jeremy.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

jemrey81 -

Everyone loves a Jeep, as for mileage heres the deal, If your not getting atleast 200k then your abusing it and not doing something. Despite what people say about honda's and what not Jeeps almost never break down, but you have to change the fluid and use the right fluid.

I have 131k on my 2000 limited (WJ) and wouldn't even think twice about jumping in and driving cross country in the next 5 minutes. Parts are sssoooooo cheap and easy to find its almost annoying having owned an audi or something else.

I would advise against going with something already lifted, its better and more satisfying to do it yourself, A simple "budget boost" thats 2" with shocks will cost you around 250, even an extreme 4" lift with new control arms, sway bar links, brake line extensions, new springs, shocks etc only runs 1100 + tires. Everything easy bolt on.

93-98 are ZJ's
99-04 are WJ's
05-10 are WK (current body style)

If you want the first gen go for a 96-98, can find them under 2000 in great shape

99-04 is the best IMO and has a higher level of quality and options then 05+, 99-00 is my fav but 04's have alot of limited production stuff like freedom edition. Stick with the 4.7 V8 or 4.7 HO and when possible get "quadra-drive".

Major issues
Blend doors (limited models only, 120 bucks + dremmel)
window regulators (80 bucks, 1 hour to replace)
brake rotors (do NOT let an impact near your wheels)
Tail lights ( bad design, have to replace entire unit, 80 bucks/pair...damn cheap)

Minor issues
throttle position sensor (60 bucks, 5 mins)
transfer case rear seal leak (15 bucks, 10 mins)
Headlight clouding (new headlights, 110/pair)

Recommended mods?
2-3" lift with 32" tires
CB radio
transfer case skid plate
tow hooks/brush guard/bull bar/lights
factory navigation (04 OEM unit is direct drop in for other years, will even work with steering wheel controls)

No BS must do when purchasing used.
Change oil, diff, and transfer case fluid. Coolant and flush brakes highly recommended.

Just some idea's.
Name:  grill8.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  77.9 KB
Name:  n504059413_1451608_3436.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  53.7 KB

As much as I'm looking forward to an audi quattro no audi is going to pound its way through 35" of snow
Name:  jeepplow.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  29.9 KB

Last edited by synesthesia; 09-21-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

WOW, I had no idea that it was so cheap.... definitely good to know. I am mostly interested in trading my car (I hate the hassle of selling), so in that case I will want the lift and tires to be done already (depending on year and mileage). If I was to buy one, it looks like I could get one on the cheap and have plenty of money to have some fun.........

I was looking at 96-02, I would have to drive them to decide which style I like better. Is the "quadra-drive" where it is all-time all-wheel drive? I always thought it was better to get one that was had the option of getting into 4wd....

I read a lot of negative reviews about the 2000 model for some reason.... any ideas?

Thanks for all of that info, and definitely nice to have some recommendations.... I like that you gave an engine size to go for (I have no clue what would be best).

How do you feel about the Cherokee (non-Grand) 4.0 v6??

Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

They don't call it a GRAND cherokee for nothing. Cherokees (XJ's) are reliable and comfortable, but there's no V8 option and you can't get alot of options.

96-98 first gen body style I would recommend going with a laredo. IMO they are the single most comfortable cars to be in on the planet, 4.0 I-6 and 242 transfer case (2wd,4wd FT, N, 4WD Low) if you go with a 99-02 like the body style i have then go with the V8 and 247 TC (4wd full time, N, 4wd Part time)

Quadra-drive isn't quite like all wheel drive, it can send about 95% power to the wheel with the most traction based on slippage but because of the way the transfer case works it won't stop wheels turning on opposite axle. This is very very useful in deep mud and snow. Not to mention is all mechanic so no electronic parts to worry about. The only draw back is that the 247 TC takes a special fluid. It's around 13/quart. You need 2 quarts and are good for about 30k. In 10 years on Jeep forums no one has had success using anything else.

Some people like the 2wd/4wd option to switch but I'v had both and in both generations. Can't have QD unless its with the 4 full time and you don't really want to be switching back and forth. The 4.7 puts out around 300 - sending that much power to the rear only with 3.73 gears and you'll just spin. With 32" off road tires and 4wd I can still chirp all 4 tires at once on dry pavement.

No clue why you've read alot of bad reviews about the 00, my guess is there now 10 years old and people abuse them. Once a week someone goes onto the forums with a grand ranting and raving. Then we find out the Transfer case is dry, the diff fluid has 100k on it, coolant hasn't been changed, oil gets changed every 7500 miles etc.

To give you a better idea I'v had my grand for 6 years now, now at 131k I'v gone offroading a good bit, I'v driven cross country, gone through extreme weather, a decent amount of towing (towing package is 6500lbs, 3.73 gears, class 4 hitch, tranny cooler, PS cooler, 7-pin connector etc) smashed through sand dunes and I haul just plain heavy stuff all the time. I'v spent a good bit on mods but only 1,220 on repairs in all that time according to spreadsheet. Of that 325 was new a new heavy duty front driveshaft...its a repair but it was kind of my fault. The single biggest repair has been new rear axle seals. Another 335 but required a press so I couldn't do it myself.

I love the grands, for roadtrips they can't be beat and do great offroad. If you want to do some mild trails it'll work great, but if you want something you can beat up alittle then I'd go with the 96-98 laredo. Heavy duty plastic cladding, 4.0 I-6 and the 2wd/4wd switchable transfer case.

Here are some old pics of my 98. One of my biggest regrets was selling it.
Name:  8.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  66.8 KB
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  84.9 KB
Name:  snow4.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  78.5 KB

Personally, if you want to spend less ten 3k go for 96-98, but if your budget is anything higher go for a 99-00 or 04. Do the lift yourself though. This one is super common and very reliable. 2" lift, new shocks included for 230 bucks.
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=wj_kits

Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

id ****** that jeep up with the 318.. those motors run for ever.. but the trannys if they have the same one as a dodge ram with the 318 the(46RH or a 46RE ) theyre junk and slip and break all the time

Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by synesthesia
Watch out, there appears to be a small puddle directly in front of you!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SLY,A4
id ****** that jeep up with the 318.. those motors run for ever.. but the trannys if they have the same one as a dodge ram with the 318 the(46RH or a 46RE ) theyre junk and slip and break all the time
You mean the 5.2. Not as bad as some make them out to be if you change the fluid when your suppose to. The 4.7 V8 is just an all around better engine that doesn't use 1970's technology, more power, better mpg, and so far seem to be outlasting the 5.2's. 5.2 V8's were in 93-98, 4.7 in 99-10

Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
Eh, Ive had a bunch of friends with chrerokees and they seem to like em. Not that hard to work on and the parts are fairly easily available.

I cant seem to sell my car either though. And since I need cash trades are out of the question. Nobody in sac wants an audi.
Dude still wow lol did you re-post it? on crigslist and do you have it on auto trader?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

teh jeep on craigslist that they said about has the 5.2 liter v8 or a 318 ci. i was dissing the motor in anyway.. bad intake but just about bullet proof.. i was saying the trannies suck. i have the same motor in my truck so i would assume its the same tranny as the jeep also.. my truck is stock under 100000 miles not even a dd or a towing truck and the tranny slips and it hasnt been spinning 35s so that is what would scare me about the jeep