B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

So I bought an A4 Quadro Project Today :) Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 PM
1st Gear
Talking So I bought an A4 Quadro Project Today :) Pics!

Hows it going my names Dan and I just bought an A4 'Project' Today. I say that because it needs some work to be good... as some things don't work and the miles are high.

I got it super cheap tho so I don't care!

I am in college and enjoy fixing up cars.
It does drive good, shifts good, runs good- gets from A to B- with a few issues.

A little about me, I am a computer science major and have restored classic cars in the past for fun. I graduate next year. I can fix most things with a repair manual besides things I don't have tools for.

Please keep in mind I am not very familiar with the A4 so feel free to offer suggestions on my guesses at fixes for the problems on my TODO list.

Here is my TODO list after owning it a day from most important to not:

1.Replace driver window (someone threw brick thru it!)
2. Figure out why turn signals don't activate at all (nor hazards- prob hazard relay or switch or w.e?)
3. Figure why when you put in new gas it has trouble starting, but once started and stopped runs fine until u put gas in again and it repeats (hard time starting unless u mash the gas). - FUEL PUMP MAYBE?
4. Change fluids, figure why 2nd radiator fan isn't running (only turns when a/c maybe?) see why radiator has water in it (ut -oh! )
5. see why airbag light is always lit.
6. figure out why radio isnt working, not that I care much since im replacing with my own.

More minor things: Exchange radio and sound system with my own that I move from car to car. (JL audio ect).
- Deep clean interrior (NEEDS IT)- figure out what to do with cracked from leather seats (rear interrior not too terrible, front is cracked).
- Replace battery on key remote so it works.
- Figure whats up with sun roof and why it doesnt open or have a cover.
- Clean the outside - figure out what the white crap coating the car is - maybe wax that screwed up the paint. Try to buff it all out after deep cleaning exterrior.
- Replace front right light as its partly broken at the reflecter part- replace lights anyway since they are fogged.
- I am sure there are more but these are just mental noted ive made to myself since i bought it earlier today and drove it home.. havn't really looked at it super in depth yet haha.

Lucky for me the local pick n pull seems to have a 96 audi a4! I am going to go check it out tomorrow and rape it for parts!

Look forward to seeing who also owns a 99 A4 Quadro.

Dan

Last edited by Mojo3; 10-31-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

pics:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Mojo3; 10-31-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Administrator

^ The pictures aren't working.

First and foremost, welcome to AF and congrats on the purchase.

The signal relay is a known problem for our cars. It gives out pretty often. There are DIY on how to replace the relay.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:56 AM
Tech Guru

Mine was one of the few things that never went out.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Welcome to AF! Looks like you've got yourself a nice lookin project car there. It's nice to see somebody saving a B5 too, seems like they've been getting totaled left and right lately lol. Here's my advice:

1. Definitely get the window from a junk yard or part out. The dealer will rape your bum for a part like that. The 96 you mentioned at the u-pull-it place should work nicely.
2. Like Krip said, this is very likely your hazard relay. They're fairly cheap and far from rocket science to replace. The one in the 96 may or may not fit depending on the interior options you got. Post up some pics of the center console and I'll be able to tell ya for sure.
5. This is either a loose plug under the driver's seat or the airbag module. The former can be fixed with a zip tie, the latter will need to be replaced or rebuilt. Would be worth snaking the one from that 96 at the junk yard just in case.
6. The radios in these cars have an anti-theft feature called "Safe mode." When the power to the radio is disconnected, it defaults to safe mode. This prevents anyone who steals it from using it. If your radio is in safe mode it will say "SAFE" on the display and will require a 4 digit code to unlock it. There's a card in the owner's manual with the code, but if you don't have it you can call AoA and get it from them.

Other things you should check out:
-You didn't mention what motor/transmission the car has. This info (along with any other mods and your engine code) can be extremely helpful to other people on the forum trying to help you. You might list them in your signature so you don't have to remember to list them everytime you start a thread or post a question.
-If the timing belt hasn't been replaced recently, or you don't have documentation to prove if/when it was done, do it ASAP. People tend to put this job off because its expensive to have someone else do it, and can be time consuming and intimidating to do it yourself. However, because these are interference engines, the pistons and valves occupy the same physical space at different times during the combustion cycle. As you might guess, very very bad things happen when those two things try to occupy the same space at the same time.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Welcome to AF! Looks like you've got yourself a nice lookin project car there. It's nice to see somebody saving a B5 too, seems like they've been getting totaled left and right lately lol. Here's my advice:

1. Definitely get the window from a junk yard or part out. The dealer will rape your bum for a part like that. The 96 you mentioned at the u-pull-it place should work nicely.
2. Like Krip said, this is very likely your hazard relay. They're fairly cheap and far from rocket science to replace. The one in the 96 may or may not fit depending on the interior options you got. Post up some pics of the center console and I'll be able to tell ya for sure.
5. This is either a loose plug under the driver's seat or the airbag module. The former can be fixed with a zip tie, the latter will need to be replaced or rebuilt. Would be worth snaking the one from that 96 at the junk yard just in case.
6. The radios in these cars have an anti-theft feature called "Safe mode." When the power to the radio is disconnected, it defaults to safe mode. This prevents anyone who steals it from using it. If your radio is in safe mode it will say "SAFE" on the display and will require a 4 digit code to unlock it. There's a card in the owner's manual with the code, but if you don't have it you can call AoA and get it from them.

Other things you should check out:
-You didn't mention what motor/transmission the car has. This info (along with any other mods and your engine code) can be extremely helpful to other people on the forum trying to help you. You might list them in your signature so you don't have to remember to list them everytime you start a thread or post a question.
-If the timing belt hasn't been replaced recently, or you don't have documentation to prove if/when it was done, do it ASAP. People tend to put this job off because its expensive to have someone else do it, and can be time consuming and intimidating to do it yourself. However, because these are interference engines, the pistons and valves occupy the same physical space at different times during the combustion cycle. As you might guess, very very bad things happen when those two things try to occupy the same space at the same time.
Thanks for the info.
The radio does not show anything at all. Is there a fuse somewhere?

Some things to add to the list that I have noticed:
1. Squeaky belt type noise upon accelerating- stops instantly when any brake it applied. Maybe a belt but visible belt looks ok to eye to me.

2. Extremely annoying alarm goes off randomly (honks for maybe 2 mins) then turns off and just flashes from lights and side lights. It has been doing this on a constant bases all day and night. No idea what is causing it?? I tried going up and sitting on the hood- alarm didnt go off. Walked by - no alarm. I Just randomly hear it going off tho for no reason (like a huge gust of wind).

Alarm and window and my priority right now. No wonder someone threw a brick thru the window....

Going to pick and pull and see what the 96 A4 looks like. It is basically all the same parts from 96 to 99 A4 or am I wrong?

I have the V6 version of it, How do I find out of its quattro or not?

Thx again!
Da

Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo3
2. Extremely annoying alarm goes off randomly (honks for maybe 2 mins) then turns off and just flashes from lights and side lights. It has been doing this on a constant bases all day and night. No idea what is causing it?? I tried going up and sitting on the hood- alarm didnt go off. Walked by - no alarm. I Just randomly hear it going off tho for no reason (like a huge gust of wind).
There are ultrasonic sensors in the interior that are pretty sensitive. I used to get this alarm as well when I had my windows cracked open. Basically the sensors are picking up the wind as an intruder, and the alarm is set off.

I've set the sensitivity down to 50% with VAG-COM and can't recall having an issue since.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo3
Going to pick and pull and see what the 96 A4 looks like. It is basically all the same parts from 96 to 99 A4 or am I wrong?

I have the V6 version of it, How do I find out of its quattro or not?

Thx again!
Da
Some of the parts will be different between 96 and 99, check out this guide for more info.

Easiest way to check for Quattro is to look for a "Quattro" badge. There should be one on the lower passenger's side corner of the front grille, one just above the glove box on the interior belt line trim, and one on the trunk lid under the "2.8." Most accurate way is to climb under the car and take a look at the rear suspension. Quattro will have center & rear differentials, FWD will not.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 PM
3rd Gear

Congrats on the purchase! Represent the '96 nicely my dude!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Administrator

I'm just curious, you know it's spelled Quattro not Quadro right?

Quick Reply: So I bought an A4 Quadro Project Today :) Pics!