B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Snub mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Snub mounts

Hi guys and geeks,

My A4 is vibrating like hell and the transmition is not shifting when its supposed to, alot of lag.

SNUB MOUNT??

Last edited by ubdevoid; 01-04-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Ehhh possible, but we're gonna need a little more info to be sure. When does the car "vibrate like hell?" Does the vibration change wth RPM? When you say the transmission isn't shifting, am I right to assume you've got an Automatic? Does the lag change when you're shifting at WOT vs. just putting around? What motor? What year is the car? Any mods?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Ehhh possible, but we're gonna need a little more info to be sure. When does the car "vibrate like hell?" Does the vibration change wth RPM? When you say the transmission isn't shifting, am I right to assume you've got an Automatic? Does the lag change when you're shifting at WOT vs. just putting around? What motor? What year is the car? Any mods?
I have 96 model A4 1.8 Auto 205.000km, had it for 12 years, no major problems. Love it, don't wanna upgrade.

the car has started to vibrate consistently regardless of speed or RPM. Of-course though the severity and acoustic frequency of the vibration depends on the gear your in. speed is not a factor. the car vibrates less when its at about 70kph because its cruising in 4th gear with little acceleration.

Another strange thing that happens since the vibration problem is the lag, especially from 2nd to 3rd gear, then when the car hits about 65kph theres an gradual burst of acceleration.

Now the vibration had decreased the other day and with that the gearshifting was smoother and performance and acceleration also improves slightly. Basically the vibration severity has an almost total effect on the driveability of the car.

When the vibration is at it worst, the gear shifting is pretty frustrating and the performance and acceleration is also worsened.

I've had the engine and tranny mounts aswell as the engine checked by 2 mechanics in my city. One mechanic said "you problem is a combination of engine mount failure and a muffler problem", the other said "your muffler and engine mounts are ok".

My engine doesn't sound great but it sound like an audi thats 15 years old. lol. No smoke from exhaust, clean engine bay, no leaks, good oil, good coolant etc.

I think a snub mount replacement is worth a try seeing as its inexpensive. All i need is some installation instructions.

Last edited by ubdevoid; 01-05-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Snub mount is possible then, yes. A good test for this is to get on a straight stretch of road, and accelerate/decelerate several times without shifting. The snub mount, in conjunction with the other engine/tranny mounts is supposed to keep your drive train from moving around too much. If the shifter moves significantly forward or backward when you speed up or slow down, thats a good indicator of a shot snub mount. The stock piece is pretty soft (too soft, IMO), so even a brand new one would move a little, but it should be very tough to notice

Old 01-13-2011, 06:22 AM
1st Gear

replaced snub (torque) mount yesterday. no effect.

if anyone has any suggestions, please post.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Guru

motor mounts/trans mount..... good place to start

Old 01-14-2011, 06:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
motor mounts/trans mount..... good place to start
yeah...

it's just...I'm no mechanic so I wouldn't know what to look for in regards to a failed mount. to me the mounts look ok with the exception of the driver side tranny mount which has it "ridges" or "grooves" (???? dunno what you would call them) slightly compressed.

As I mentioned, one mechanic has also told me the mounts are fine. Im thinking i'll get me a second opinion on the mount condition.

Do you think it's worth a try changing the tranny mounts. (DYI), any online instructions?? is it difficult?

Last edited by ubdevoid; 01-14-2011 at 06:34 AM.