B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

smoking/boost problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 AM
1st Gear
Default smoking/boost problems

First to start off I have a 99.5 1.8t quattro 5spd with a chip, apr exhaust, and an intake. The car has been great untill last week when I entered the onramp and floored it in 3rd at 16psi then shifted into 4th and floored it and my car suddenly had only 3-4psi. I took it home and did a boost leak test and found the s-shaped crankcase vent tube had cracks so i replaced it and its still the same. So i boost checked it again with the oil cap on and pcv valve connected (I know I was supposed to take it off), and found the intercooler had a leak so I patched it then drove the car and still nothing. The first time i boost leak tested it blew blue/white smoke out the exhaust and went away after a few minutes but this time it smoked and then it never stopped smoking. It will only smoke when I get on the highway and get it warm and I can notice it when I get off the highway, but will eventually almost go away when I drive around town. Another thing I noticed is I blocked off the wastegate and it would run 16psi but if I drove for a while and got on the highway and it would start smoking out the exhaust it would only go to about 8psi and take a while to get there. I think it is a bad turbo because I had a friend scan it with a vag com and there was only a code for "turbo boost sensor a" and the N75 was functioning and the wastegate rod moved when I revved the engine. I just wanted to see what you guys think before I go and get a newer turbo, and if it is the turbo are any of you selling one for a fair price. Thank you

Old 05-06-2009, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

bump.