B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Smoke coming from below the car, pics included

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:40 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Smoke coming from below the car, pics included

Yesterday I drove a somewhat steep road for about 25-30 mins, when I stopped the car I saw smoke coming out of. It looked like it was coming from below the cat converter... I thought it was some oil that got close to the exhaust or the cat converter, even though it didn't smell like burning oil or any other chemical, it just smelled like I was cooking a burguer
After calling my mechanic, he recommended to let it cool off and then drive back home, to not to worry too much as it can be normal if I forced it in the uphill, even though I didn't feel like forcing it too much (but I probably did, just because it was steep)
I wend downhill in neutral, went to do some errands and a couple of hours later I got home... some kept coming out, and it seemed like getting worse (but you couldn't see any smoke while driving)....
After spending some time looking at it I found out where it was coming from, I lifted the car and got a look at it, took some pics (attached) because I have no idea of what I was looking at, I sprayed some water and it went away.
I'm afraid of driving my car again before my mechanic gets to take a look at it...
I wonder if this just happened because of the drive I gave it yesterday or if it's something else?
Can anyone recognize what the pics are showing? That part is right in the middle of the car, right below the two front seats.
Should I worry about this?
I will appreciate your help!

Smoke coming from the box marked in red
Name:  squared.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  53.7 KB

Don't know if this is related, but you can see some oil in the thing next to it
Name:  oil.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  37.7 KB

High-Res pics: http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/z412/h4x0rxm/audi/

Old 06-19-2011, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear

That would be the shifter box, but if it's making smoke it would've been from an electric fault and you would've smelled it inside the car, plus burnt electronics smell absolutely horrible. Seems like one of your tranny seals is leaking and dripping oil on the exhaust.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
That would be the shifter box, but if it's making smoke it would've been from an electric fault and you would've smelled it inside the car, plus burnt electronics smell absolutely horrible. Seems like one of your tranny seals is leaking and dripping oil on the exhaust.
Yeah, it didn't smell too bad, is it possible that the smoke comes from the oil getting burned on the exhaust?

If the problems is what you think it is, would it be hard/expensive to repair it?

Would it be safe to drive it for a couple of days until my mechanic has time to take a look at it? (Commute to work is about 30miles one way... I don't plan to drive it, but if it's safe...)

Old 06-19-2011, 11:09 PM
2nd Gear

That depends on how badly it's leaking, you don't want to run low on tranny fluid. If it's slowly leaking just make sure it's topped up. The part itself is cheap and labour should only be an hour or 2.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:12 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
That depends on how badly it's leaking, you don't want to run low on tranny fluid. If it's slowly leaking just make sure it's topped up. The part itself is cheap and labour should only be an hour or 2.
Well, thanks for the help! I'll take it to my mechanic and see what he says, at least I know what the problem is

Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

I just had smoke come from under my car and I nearly lost my Car. Insulation was touching the Downpipe. Smoldering Fire. I am still waiting for parts from the dealer.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

Send me an Email and I tell you about my tale. Smoke, Fire.