B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Smoke from coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM
4th Gear

You're missing the point dumbass, you cant file a claim for a repair you did yourself.

News flash....everytime people commit insurance fraud, the rates go up for all the honest people like myself. if you dont understand that, you're just plain ignorant.

Last edited by acetrebo; 09-26-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 PM

Oh...Now making a claim on a defective product is fraud! And that pic is pretty accurate as to what I pictured you to look like

Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 PM
4th Gear

lol, at least you have a sense of humor.

not the defective product, you go back to the manufacturer for that. I'm talking about in general, when people commit fraud, the rates go up for everyone. You said only I could make the rates go up for myself, not true.

Anyway, this thread is beat to death. I hope Stimpy gets his car cleaned up. as for you ryan, I didn't mean for this thread to end up a big pissing match, so sorry if I offended you with my inital post, I just thought it was bad advice, I can see there may be a place for it depending on the circumstances.
So, this will be my last post on this topic, have a good one!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

It was actually my brother who did the repairs on the car. He does all of my repairs. The pump was leaking out of the where the pulley attaches, a nice steady drip, hitting the belt and spraying everywhere. The smoke was definitely coming from the coil, the pump and steering system are pretty much empty for now, since it's a waste to fill it presently. I am going to try and clean them off, I was also suggested the same from my brother. It was just an odd burning smell, so then I thought the worst. So I figured if I asked on here, I might get some more knowledged insight. I didn't know that I could clean it with simple green, I actually have a whole gallon of it. If that would possibly work, then I will definitely try it. I really appreciate the feedback, I've had the car for almost a year, and this is my first major malfunction. Thank you sooooo much!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
4th Gear

Simple green is good for removing grease, brake dust, etc. Just try not to directly saturate anything electrical. It should work well for cleaning the belts, engine block, etc.
The coilpaks can be cleaned off with it, as long as they are removed from the engine and that you are careful that they are wiped off well and dried. just dont spray it directly into where the wiring harness connects or anything like that. Otherwise, the coilpacks are pretty much sealed, so it will be ok. Good luck, hope that gets rid of the smoke for you and squeeky belts.
Does the car run Ok besides the smoke, (and of course the steering pump)?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, runs great, although since all this mess occured, I actually just got a check engine light. Plugged it in and it comes up with EGR valve. Think there could be a connection? Maybe power steering fluid all over that as well? It was such a mess.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Ok so here's a fine update. Wasn't the coil smoking, wasn't the belt squealing....I'm assuming. Pulled into my job today and popped the hood to try and see where the smoke was coming from, and the power steering pump pulley had disengaged itself from the pump. It burned a hole right through the plastic cover in the front of it, and was leaning up against the fan, and the serpentine belt was hanging from the bottom of the car. How in the world does this happen?? I was just so surprised to see this when I opened the hood. How does the pulley come right off the pump?? What causes that, was it because the pump was faulty?

Old 09-27-2008, 11:55 PM
3rd Gear

when people file frivilous clams, it raises the rates for everyone because someone has to pay for all the extra claims, and it sure isnt going to come out of insurance companies pockets. if a shop screws up your car, you go and get them to fix it. some shops might need a lawsuit in order to get this done, but your personal insurance has nothing to do with it. if you did the work youself, the only remedy you have is contacting where you bought the parts. if i screwed up trying to remove my engine and called my insurance agent asking him to pay to fix it, he would laugh at me.

when power steering fluid or any mineral oil gets onto rubber belts, it would cause them to loose their grip, which causes slipping, which causes squeeling.

the coils are sealed, as long as the connections are clean, no oil can get into the coil itself. you just need to spend some time with some cleaner and scrub all that oil off.