B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Smoke from coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 07:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Smoke from coil packs

So I really need some type of advice with this. I have a 96 A4 2.8, and just replaced the power steering pump only to find out it's defective. So the faulty power steering pump sprays fluid all over the motor, especially right in the front there where the coil packs are, it's everywhere. So it was burning off the engine really bad, it's been a few days, I figured it was burnt off. Still waiting on the new pump, but my coil packs are smoking really bad now, and the inside of my car smells like burnt something. Now I get a really loud sharp squealing from the front, possibly the serpentine belt? Did that faulty pump just like totally wreck my car? Will some electrical cleaner clean up the coils? I'm stumped....

Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 PM

File a claim! Call your insurance to get to their insurance!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ryanylva
File a claim! Call your insurance to get to their insurance!
Thats got to be the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard. File a claim? I didn't hear him say he had an accident???!!!!! Are you high? They dont insure you for repairs gone wrong that you did yourself. if you f*ck your car up working on it, thats on you.

Just get some tar and grease remover or some simple green or something, and clean the inside of the engine bay as best you can, the belts especially.

Are you sure its the coilpacks smoking, and not just the fluid burning off of the engine? I don't see how the fluid could get down into the coilpacks, they are pretty well sealed, and the spark plug holes are well covered. If you really think they are, try removing them and cleaning them up as best you can. Simple green should work ok here to, just make sure they are dry, and when you put them back in, use some dielectric grease on the ends that cover the plug to prevent corrosion.
Also, if you suspect or see fluid down in the hole, take a rag and a socket extension or similar, and insert into the hole to soak up the fluid. Use a flashlight to look down in and see if there is fluid in there, you definitely want to clean that up if its there.

Good luck, hope you get it all cleaned up and fixed, shouldn't be too hard to get it right again.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by acetrebo
Thats got to be the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard. File a claim? I didn't hear him say he had an accident???!!!!! Are you high? They dont insure you for repairs gone wrong that you did yourself. if you f*ck your car up working on it, thats on you.

Just get some tar and grease remover or some simple green or something, and clean the inside of the engine bay as best you can, the belts especially.

Are you sure its the coilpacks smoking, and not just the fluid burning off of the engine? I don't see how the fluid could get down into the coilpacks, they are pretty well sealed, and the spark plug holes are well covered. If you really think they are, try removing them and cleaning them up as best you can. Simple green should work ok here to, just make sure they are dry, and when you put them back in, use some dielectric grease on the ends that cover the plug to prevent corrosion.
Also, if you suspect or see fluid down in the hole, take a rag and a socket extension or similar, and insert into the hole to soak up the fluid. Use a flashlight to look down in and see if there is fluid in there, you definitely want to clean that up if its there.

Good luck, hope you get it all cleaned up and fixed, shouldn't be too hard to get it right again.
AM I HIGH?! Listen you ignorant punk! Get your facts straight before you run your mouth! #1 you can file a labor claim to the company with the defective product #2 unless you have a ghetto insurance company your insurance will do the leg work and YES you will get money for damages from a defective product. Clown

Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 PM
4th Gear

Sounded to me like he did the repair himself, hows he going to file a labor claim? And the car is not even damaged, just needs cleaned.

I have a 96 A4 2.8, and just replaced the power steering pump

I mean, if he had a shop do it, he'd just take it back and make them fix it.

Last edited by acetrebo; 09-26-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 PM

Dude, he did the repair himself, hows he going to file a labor claim? And the car is not even damaged, just needs cleaned.

I have a 96 A4 2.8, and just replaced the power steering pump
Where does it say he did it himself? And how can you say nothing is damaged? Just another ignorant know it all? Why cant you just answer the question? Your like an annoying sister

Last edited by ryanylva; 09-26-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 PM

yeah, theres no way you hurt the coils. the liquid is just burning while its sitting there on top of the engine. follow acetrebo's advice and clean the engine bay really good, thats about all u can do.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:18 PM

although im not a 100% sure, if the shop did the repair they would be liable and Stimpy wouldn't be asking us what to do. I think hes looking for answers on what he can do to fix the problem himself.

Last edited by A4speed; 09-26-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

His post didn't say anything was damaged beside the steering pump. He's obviously been driving it, and the belts squeek.

Maybe he wasn't as clear as he could have been, maybe he'll post back with more info for you.

I'm just trying to help him fix it, with some suggestions, since it appeared he did it himself.

People like you that run to the insurance company for every scratch are why the rates are so high for the rest of us.

Plus, if a shop did it, most likely they would fix it properly for you after making them aware of the problem. maybe in an extreme case where the shop screws up your car, and wont make it right, would the insurance company help you out. but I don't think thats the case here.

Anyway, next time maybe you could tell him what to do to try to fix it, instead of telling him to run to the insurance agency so my rates can go up.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 PM

His post didn't say anything was damaged beside the steering pump. He's obviously been driving it, and the belts squeek.

Maybe he wasn't as clear as he could have been, maybe he'll post back with more info for you.

I'm just trying to help him fix it, with some suggestions, since it appeared he did it himself.

People like you that run to the insurance company for every scratch are why the rates are so high for the rest of us.

Plus, if a shop did it, most likely they would fix it properly for you after making them aware of the problem. maybe in an extreme case where the shop screws up your car, and wont make it right, would the insurance company help you out. but I don't think thats the case here.

Anyway, next time maybe you could tell him what to do to try to fix it, instead of telling him to run to the insurance agency so my rates can go up.
wow! You are BRILLIANT huh? You have it all figured out! I raise your insurance rates!? News flash bro...you are the only one that can raise your own insurance rates. Like I said ignorant plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Smoke from coil packs