B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

should i upgrade my brakes?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: should i upgrade my brakes?????

so i guess the bbk upgrade is a no brainer then definetly doing it!!!!!!!!

any input on my other question?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm make believe

you will be fine.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:15 PM

200whp
ORIGINAL: ricky0323

so i guess the bbk upgrade is a no brainer then definetly doing it!!!!!!!!

any input on my other question?
I have some input, don't get a bbk unless you're going to upgrade your rear callipers and rotors.

Upgrading just the front calipers will screw up the brake balance (the front will clamp way harder than the rear) and wont improve your braking distance. Change the fluid, get some nice pads, and go with an A8 upgrade up front.

Tires stop a car, not brakes. Even if that's a broad statement, full of caveats and qualifiers, it contains a crucial truth. All things being equal, stopping distance is stipulated by how much grip the tires have before they're finally overcome by braking torque, resulting in wheel lock. For those with ABS, the surest and simplest way to reduce dead-stop braking distance is a simple matter of stickier tires.
In order to maximize stopping performance, each tire should be just near its limits of grip in deceleration. Most cars off the showroom floor have a front-biased brake system, which is much safer for the average driver in a panicked braking situation-more rear bias at the limits of grip will cause the car's tail to get loose, even in a straight line. Not a good thing when braking and turning at the same time, unless you're doing it deliberately on a track.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...ech/index.html

Unless you're going to be tracking your car and need the defense against heatsoak, you're just wasting your money on a BBK. If you can activate your abs (or lock up your tires), then you need stickier tires, NOT a bbk.

Also the stock A4 drivetrain can handle 650+awhp launches, you'll be fine.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: pyropenguin

I have some input, don't get a bbk unless you're going to upgrade your rear callipers and rotors.

Upgrading just the front calipers will screw up the brake balance (the front will clamp way harder than the rear) and wont improve your braking distance. Change the fluid, get some nice pads, and go with an A8 upgrade up front.
Yeah, i have to totally disagree here. The front already does the majority of the braking. Increasing it will improve braking and do nothing to harm braking bias. Speaking from experience, not guessing.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: cincyTT
Yeah, i have to totally disagree here. The front already does the majority of the braking. Increasing it will improve braking and do nothing to harm braking bias. Speaking from experience, not guessing.
I'm not calling you out here, but just for my curiosity, what experience do you have with big brake kits? Have you tested the stopping distance of a stock setup vs. just front bbk? Have you tracked an A4 with stock brakes and again with a bbk in just the front? Sport compact car and Stoptech both say you're wrong.

As braking force is continuously increased, one end of the car must eventually break traction. If the front wheels lock up and turn into little piles of molten rubber first we say that the car is “front biased”, as the front tires are the limiting factor for deceleration. In the not-so-desirable situation where the rear tires are the first to lock we say that the car is “rear biased”, but the driver would probably have a few more choice adjectives to add. In either case, however, one end of the car has given up before the other, limiting the ultimate deceleration capability of the car. Just like the car that pushes its way through corners all day long, a car which is heavily front biased will be slow and frustrating, but relatively easy and benign to drive. On the other hand, like the oversteer monster that people are afraid to even drive around the paddock, a car which is severely rear biased will be a scary, twitchy ride resulting in a bad case of the white-knuckle syndrome. Envision an imaginary co-pilot yanking up on the park brake handle in the middle of every corner, and you begin to get the idea. While a rush to drive at speed, it will be horribly slow on the stopwatch. The car with perfectly balanced brake bias will, however, be the last one to hit the brakes going down the back straight. By distributing the braking forces so that all four tires are simultaneously generating their maximum deceleration, stopping distance will be minimized and our hero will quickly find his way to victory lane. Just like neutral handling, balanced brake bias is our ticket to lower lap times. All that said, once the braking system has achieved its perfect balance, it is still up to the tires to generate the braking forces. It’s still the tires that are stopping the car, but a poorly designed braking system can lengthen stopping distances significantly, expensive sticky tires or not.
So, what have we learned? As Figure 7 illustrates, every car has a “sweet spot” for brake bias which will generate the shortest stopping distances possible. Typically, the auto manufacturers design their cars to be 5% to 10% more front-biased than optimum for maximum deceleration, but they provide enhanced brake stability in return. Not a bad trade-off for the public at large, and not necessarily a bad place for a race car in the heat of battle either.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...formance.shtml
With 5-10% front bias stock, a bbk is only creating more of a front bias. The car will be safer (rear end is less likely to lock up) but the overall stopping distance is probably not going to be decreased, because the front tires will be at their traction limit well before the rears are able to fully utilize their traction. The rear end DOES help, if you're riding a bike you can't just crank the front brake all the way down for the quickest stop (if you lean back enough you can do this without going over the bars), it's a balance of front and rear pressure.

I stand by my statement that if you're trying to fight heatsoak and get a better pedal feel, a bbk will help, but for stopping in the shortest distance possible only a front bbk is not the best choice.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm make believe

This is how i know

You are not increasing the bias as badly as you or the mags are making it seem. You would have to make it a heavy majority one way over the other. If the rear is to big, the rear will come around the front. You really cant go wrong with bigger fronts unless you make them like 15" and7" rotors. The brakes people are talking about here are going to the same size asa stock TT. Thats both front and REAR.

I did not actually testthe stopping distance, but you can more the tell the differnce. I would easily say that it was a good deal shorter 60-0 than stock. Atleast 15ft.

As for heatsoak, increasing size does very little for that. Its all stopping distance (law of levers). If you want cooler brakes, you need rotors like me. 2 peice are cool to the touch 5 mins after a hard run where 1 peice will burn your finger even after 15mins.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM

Wait a second, you guys are talking about the A8 rotor upgrade as the BBK?

I thought you meant an actual bbk from stoptech/brembo/alcon. hahahah, I even said in my first post he should do that upgrade...

Anyways, you have wilwoods on your TT? I've never seen anybody run those on their A4, how do you like them?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: pyropenguin

Wait a second, you guys are talking about the A8 rotor upgrade as the BBK?

I thought you meant an actual bbk from stoptech/brembo/alcon. hahahah, I even said in my first post he should do that upgrade...

Anyways, you have wilwoods on your TT? I've never seen anybody run those on their A4, how do you like them?
They are great. Only reasonably priced BBK with a 2 peice rotor and plain face. Its a DD so i dont want slots or xdrilled since it would increase stopping distance and thats not what i want.

BTW, the stg2 kit is 12.1" and stg 3 kit is 12.6" from ecs. The stock TT brakes are 12.3". Do you still consider them BBK?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 PM

Alcon's bbks are 13" and 14", stoptech's is 14", and the stock size is 11.3" inches... I don't count it as a BBK, I'd say it's a MBK!

Does wilwood make a kit for the A4? How much does that setup run you? TT's are 5x100 bolt pattern, so that kit (rotor) wouldn't bolt on to the A4... right?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm make believe

12.x" is more than enough for a streetcar when coupled with a nice set of pad and 4 piston caliper.

Wilwood doesnt have a kit for the A4. Just for the Mkiv and TT. My kit was $800 with lines and everything and then i sold my stocks for over $200. So i spent just over $600 for everything.

Quick Reply: should i upgrade my brakes?????