B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Short shifter recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Short shifter recommendation?

Sooo...
I was thinking about getting a ss for the 1.8. I was looking at one on ebay that comes with the full kit.
Now, Is there really any difference in them? I was looking at the jhm ss kit that people on audizine seem to like. But... thats 300 for the kit. Where as i can get the kit on ebay for less than 60 prob.
What do you think? Is a ss an acceptable place to skimp?
eBay ss I was looking at vs. JHM

Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

IMO it depends on exactly how hard you plan on pushing the car and how comfortable you feel with a knockoff product as your shifter. Personally, right now I have an ebay kit. Only paid ~30 bucks for it and I've been very satisfied. It didn't help with any of the slop, which was to be expected because this kit basically just shortens the shaft and adjusts the linkage, doesn't rebuild any of the ball assembly (at least mine didn't). Since my B5 is my first car, my learner car, my DD etc, I couldn't justify dropping 300 bucks on the JHM, especially where my car has upwards of 160k on the clock and will probably be replaced by an 07 A4 2.0t within the next two years. When I get said 07, JHM will be installed because its a newer year, will have less miles, and will be a car I intend to go fast. As it is now though, the ebay kit has been more than satisfactory for my current needs.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Ok thats what i was thinking actually.. This isnt going to be an all out drag car. I just thought it would be a little better of a drive with the shorter arm.
but I basically agree 100% with almost everything you said lol

Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, its a much better drive. Knock off or not, the short shifter has been one of my most favorite things I've done to my car. Coupled with a chip, it's been a blast. I may have a slow 2.8, but between the tiny gain of the chip and the reduced shifting time, I can get up to speed and out of trouble pretty quickly if need be. Way I see it, the ultimate goal of the short shifter is to reduce time spent with the clutch in by reducing throws. Both kits do just that, the difference comes in primarily to if you don't mind the slop that isn't reduced by the ebay kit. Like I said, where as this is just a DD car, it doesn't bother me much having the extra play in the shifter, its an older car and its to be expected and it certainly wasn't worth 300 bucks to have a rifle-bolt precise shifter mechanism, but in a newer A4 like an 07 or 08, I wouldn't cheap out for the life of me. A newer A4 should retain a rifle-bolt precise shifter, and if that means 300 bucks for a quality kit to reduce throws and keep the shifter solid as it was from the factory.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

i just installed an ebay shifter that i got for $36 with free shipping... got here in 3 days, and the install is pretty easy. it deff has a way shorter throw and the height is only reduced a small amount. the replacement shifter seems to be very sturdy and seems like it should hold up nicely. heres the link to the same one i got. Ebay shifter

Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator

If you search this topic you'll get tons of hits. I have the same shifter and can't complain. If you download the installation instructions from B&M's website, the install is a breeze.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:26 AM
2nd Gear

What if we have the push down reverse? Have a link for that?
thanks

Old 10-31-2009, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

Yeah it comes with the springs and everything need for pushdown reverse as well... i have all the parts for that left over as well if anyone needs them... auditurbo are you in lexington ky by any chance?

Old 10-31-2009, 10:32 AM
2nd Gear

On the topic of shifters, what parts on our shifters/linkages wear out over time? In the ebay pictures I didn't see any bushings or anything like that.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

plastic pieces can, but probably wont seeing as people run stock ones for 200k miles....

i will probably end up going the cheap route soon here too, then if that breaks will upgrade to jhm

Quick Reply: Short shifter recommendation?