B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Shopping for cars.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
If I knew any better, I would have gone one for a 2000 model or nothing later than a 1999.5.

Then you could do this retrofit =D and really make use of that LCD screen with NAV directions
RNS-E@A4_B5 - YouTube

Meh,it does look nice but my after market pioneer 7" head unit has upgrade options for gps,xm or sirus radio and bluetooth.

Another thing is that most B5's have the pixelated LCD that would have to be fixed,before you can even see anything on the LCD screen,so this would have to wait,until that is done before you could do the nav conversion.

This doesn't make it worth it for these reasons.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
Then there is your opportunity to talk him down at least a grand,go to a Audi stealership and get a quote on a timing belt job and have them print it out,bring it with you to the dealer that is selling the Audi A4 and show him how much you'll have to spend to get it done.

Also tell him that these cars NEED to have the timing belt,water pump,tensioner,rollers,themastat and more done every 60.00 miles that is the honest truth!

Walk away from it if he doesn't want to come down on the price,even after you have shown him proof of the cost of a timing job and he hasn't shown you proof,that none of the above has been done.

Good luck!
Thanks, but I think I know where the car came from. They buy cars from auctions and flip them. If I'm correct, I have seen the car before on an auction site that has some REALLY bad reports on cars. Mileage is similar, color and options are the same. As of now I still have time to look for a car. Thanks for the advice though.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 30-06
Thanks, but I think I know where the car came from. They buy cars from auctions and flip them. If I'm correct, I have seen the car before on an auction site that has some REALLY bad reports on cars. Mileage is similar, color and options are the same. As of now I still have time to look for a car. Thanks for the advice though.
Smart move my friend.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
Smart move my friend.
Thank you

Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear

Don't think no service records is a deal breaker though, my car had zero records after the first owner but I've never had a single real problem with it in the past year already.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Don't think no service records is a deal breaker though, my car had zero records after the first owner but I've never had a single real problem with it in the past year already.
So by your logic,just because you haven't had any issues with your car,without any service records,means that should be a rule of thumb for anyone looking for a used car and could possible get a lemon,because they didn't know what,if anything has been done to it?

I'd go as far to say that your case is a huge minority, 99.9% of the time,people going in on a used car,not knowing what work has and hasn't been performed on it,come out with a lemon and need to put way more money into it,then they would have,if they would require,service records.

Good rule of thumb,no service records,walk away or if you can wrench on it yourself,use the fact they the seller has no service records to talk him down on the price.