B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Shop says I need new axle, wheel bearing, possible differential!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Shop says I need new axle, wheel bearing, possible differential!

So the loud hum from my drivers side rear wheel got worse and started to sound like metal clunking and just awful noise. I immediately took the car in to my shop that I've trusted for a few years now.

They call me back the next day and tell me I need a new axle and wheel bearing. Ok no big deal I think to myself, then my mechanic says "I've been on the phone with Molle Audi for 45 minutes and they've informed me that I have to replace the differential seal and that also a bad axle, if loose enough, could do permanent damage to the rear differential.

Is this possible? Wouldnt a damaged differential lock up? I dont even wanna think about buying a new Torsen or 2000 dollar upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Default RE: Shop says I need new axle, wheel bearing, possible differential!

hummmmmmmm, sounds like they are picking straws. i have yet to see a rear axle go bad, ever. unless the boot ripped, or there is excess play in the shaft, chances are the axle is fine. i would do the rear bearing and be on my merry way. sitting at my desk is not going to do you any good, i wish i could see it. i would almost bring it somewhere a bit more competent, as it sounds to me like they may be trying to rip you off. it also sounds like you had a problem that you did not fix right away (if the bearing had too much (i mean ALOT of play) you could have stressed the axle to the point of buring it up, also putting undue stress on the rear end. dunno what to tell you, but a second opinion may be your best bet. i work in a shop, and can tell you there is not a dealer on the face of this planet that would spend that much time on the phone (unless your on hold) to help a independent shop with any kind of diag.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

So the differential seal is a ridiculous idea? What I know about the seal is that it isn't easy to get to, don't you have to prop the differential on a jackstand to even get to it?

Good point about the dealer, why would they waste their time (and money) helping an independant shop? And I heard the wheel bearing humming for maybe a couple weeks until there was a slight clunking noise as the wheel turned just recently.

Thanks for your input man.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM
2nd Gear

i have my bearings replace at differant times. 2 of the shops said that the axel might have to be replaced but after disassembly the axel was fine and just replaced bearing. i would just replace bearing...axles can take a lot

Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

It sounds to me as if your shop is taking the Shotgun approach to making a diagnosis of your problem. Which means they aren't really sure what the problem is but if they replace everything they should get it the first time. Lots of shops use this approach when their diagnosing skills aren't up to par. Just start throwing parts at it and sooner or later they will hit the problem while you the customer foots the bill.

Good Luck, Find a better shop...

Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
2nd Gear

Your fist clue is they had to call Audi to ask what to do. They are incompetent and would not be touching mine. That whole shotgun approach is great if you have unlimired funds but the chances of the latter complications are minimal. The Audi dealer most likely gave them this diagnoses just to spite the shop that has no working knowledge of Audis. Much the same as they would do if you or I were to walk into one asking for advice.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
4th Gear

why dont oyu actually go in and see if you need a new axle and diff seal and bad diff seal will usually leak some oil and isnt unheard of the axle would need some major damage to need replace and even if theres a torn CV boot the joint can be repalced, my bet is go in look at it and if all seems good just replace the wheel bearing since this is common maintence/issue.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

[8D]

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel45.shtml

DIY link.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 PM

I had the same problem just a few weeks ago. I had a loud humming from my front left wheel. It turned out that the axle had SNAPPED when i went to take a corner. Fortunately, I guess the b5's have two different axels on the front? He said that only the left one needed to be replaced. But he said that the boots were torn to hell, which helped cause the break in the axle. I ended up paying right around 1600 for new axle, new boots, brake lines, 4 new tires, alignment, and labor.. so if they're shootin you 2k, thats BIGGG BS. I had ALOT of work done and got a smaller bill lol..