B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Shock or control arm issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear
Default Shock or control arm issue?

I hear a knocking coming from the front right wheel area when entering ramps, when the front end lifts during acceleration from a stop, and during high speed braking since the front rotors are warped (which will be fixed soon). I'm not sure if it's the shock or maybe the control arm, tie rod end, etc. that's causing this. I have Eibach Pro-Kit springs and the Eibach Pro-Damper set, but have no idea how long they've been on the car. Is this a trial and error type of thing or is there a way of figuring out what the problem is exactly?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:33 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like it's shock-related to me, but it could be a control arm problem. Start by checking bushings (i.e. shock bushing) and making sure everything's tight. It could very well be a loose connection somewhere. I had an alignment done on my truck a while back and the tech didn't tighten a couple of bolts enough and it made a knock until I got it fixed.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear

shock mount, possibly????

Many people will advise to push down on the fender where you believe the noise is coming from in order to help diagnose a control arm issue. If you have squeaking or clunking while pushing down, it's probably control arm related.

I will agree with dragonrage by looking for any loose connections or worn bits, that should be a good start.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same issue, unable to diagnose it, mine is coming from the drivers side.
I have so far replaced the bump stop and strut mount/nut all tighten to spec, and it still rattles over bumps. but mine only rattles when i go slow over bumps.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:34 PM
3rd Gear

I had the front passenger side knocking a couple months after I bought the car. I had a feeling it was the control arms and sure enough it was. I replaced everything as long as I was going to lower the car.

Now all I have to do is tackle the arms in the rear to fix that clunk...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
I had the front passenger side knocking a couple months after I bought the car. I had a feeling it was the control arms and sure enough it was. I replaced everything as long as I was going to lower the car.

Now all I have to do is tackle the arms in the rear to fix that clunk...
Maybe it's that then. My ride quality seems normal now that I think about it, so it might not be the shocks. I think from taking so long to fix the warped rotor on that side, made the control arm wear out really fast. I mean, on the freeway when I'm braking, It feels like the car's going to fall apart from the shaking lol.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

I guess it could be possible. Have you looked at the joints by the control arms? Are they cracked, non-existent...? Mine were pretty shot, I even found out that I was replacing them for a second time. My guess is they weren't installed correctly when repaired.

Have they been replaced before? How many miles on your car?

If you have doubts and don't mind the work it's worth the $400 investment to tighten up the suspension.

Sorry for all the questions......

Old 11-13-2009, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
I guess it could be possible. Have you looked at the joints by the control arms? Are they cracked, non-existent...? Mine were pretty shot, I even found out that I was replacing them for a second time. My guess is they weren't installed correctly when repaired.

Have they been replaced before? How many miles on your car?

If you have doubts and don't mind the work it's worth the $400 investment to tighten up the suspension.

Sorry for all the questions......
No problem. I know you need to know all the facts before making a diagnosis. My car is actually about to hit 150k. I have no idea about previous work done on the car because I bought it at a small dealer a few months ago. To be honest, I need to get under there and check out those joints. It's just that I assumed the problem was shock related and wasn't open-minded towards other options.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:34 AM
2nd Gear

It's pretty unlikely for the rotors to have caused it. They might wear them out faster, but not that notibly.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:12 AM
2nd Gear

I looked under there today and everything looks normal. I'd probably have to check if there's any loose bolts though just to make sure. I pushed the car down a few times on that side and listened as it bounced back up. I didn't notice any knocking sound. If everything's tight, then that means it's probably the shock? Aren't aftermarket shocks supposed to last a long time?

Quick Reply: Shock or control arm issue?