B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

sell/trade/keep?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:00 PM
1st Gear
Default sell/trade/keep?

Bought an 96 a4 with 93k miles in july. 2.8 quattro. Bought with out ever having driven a standard before and it is one.. Right away needed work, exhaust welding, engine mount welding, 3 new 02 senors, new brakes. I went to get an oil change, and they cant get the skid plate off due to rust and rot. I am going to be honest, I am no very good at driving this. living in the north east and commute 40mins to college every day..Should I sell this?continue to fix it?try to trade it? I have a mustang for the summer so dont really need something amazing just not sure what to do. i know nothing about cars, dont do any of my own work..help me make this damn decision thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 05:15 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by paintballcs
i know nothing about cars, dont do any of my own work
what did you pay for it? what kind of records did it come with? what else is wrong with it?

i would probably say dump it. it doesnt sound like the car is in very good condition and if you cant do anything yourself you will be spending more then the car is worth.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:18 PM

lol... audis need constant work that is for sure. Everything minus the welding can be done in the driveway with basic tools however. But as im sure you have found out, labor on these cars will rape you. Audis however can be great cars if cared for constantly. Your car is due for a timing belt if is hasnt had one, the clutches seem to go out between 90 - 130k and the wheel bearings go out often too. Its going to be up to you, but if you dont do your own work, you will have more money in labor alone than what you payed for the car. Most of the things that will need replacing, ppl have alrdy made step by step procedures that can be found searching. The 2.8 is a great engine and the audis are very known for going over 200k. But do expect having to put time into the car, and i would suggest getting a took kit/jack/stands and learn how to do things yourself. Gl in your decision!

Old 11-01-2009, 05:22 PM

You dont have any friends who are mechanically inclined? I am no car expert, but I do my own work. There is plenty of information to help you learn as you go. What did you pay for it? What are you willing to spend to have a nice car that runs good? You can deffinatly save yourself money on repairs by getting your own parts and asking questions on here. You will get the direction and information you need to do all the work yourself. If you dont have the tools you need you can always go to auto zone and rent what you need

Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM
2nd Gear

I weld in my driveway. you can pick up stick welders for under $200.00

Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

I paid 2500$ for it. Instantly but 550$ in it for the work. Its in decent condition really besides the issues stated. well the drivers back door doesnt open, power locks are hit or miss, radio wont work,tried code,still fails...Ive never worked on any car ha. only 19, just have never really tried. no confidence or tools, knowledge

Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear

do you know anyone who works on cars who can guide you without ripping you a new one lol

Old 11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

One guy actually. he has like an 89 jetta that he loves and knows all this stuff. Just never really felt like asking how to do this stuff. since have no tools, and not much time with college and working... Debating selling and getting a honda, or maxima

Old 11-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by paintballcs
I paid 2500$ for it. Instantly but 550$ in it for the work. Its in decent condition really besides the issues stated. well the drivers back door doesnt open, power locks are hit or miss, radio wont work,tried code,still fails...Ive never worked on any car ha. only 19, just have never really tried. no confidence or tools, knowledge
Well I think you have some choices to make Paint. Our cars are just not really suited for someone that can not turn a wrench or may be going to school and when money is tight. Not saying that's your fault man, because now I'm in that position. The A4 pretty much needs attention more often than other cars and waiting, usually sets up for something worse 9 times out of 10. The timing belt is the most crucial thing to replace imo. If your not sure it was changed and by how many miles you have, you need to get on that ASAP. If you cannot come up with $1,000 or more you better trade it. On my side, my buddy used to be a mechanic so that helps, but with a recent cut in pay, I may have to find a GM car next year that is not so mechanically demanding.

I just had a black book price on my 97 A4 from a couple dealers. I was offered $1,200 to $1,800 and I have 118,000 miles. Of course after laughing my *** off, If I need to sell it next year it will be outright and not to a dealer.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

I obviously would not sell to a dealer. Would craigslist it. I bet I could get maybe 3500-4000. I was hoping to make it though the winter, because I have the mustang for the summer. That thing as been a gem, 15k miles not one issue what so ever.. Never really had any issues with fords, they just dont have a cheap, nice car that is good in the snow that isnt an suv.

Quick Reply: sell/trade/keep?