B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

secondary air pump fix 2000 A4 1.8

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM
1st Gear
Default secondary air pump fix 2000 A4 1.8

I had a p0411 and couldn't pass inspection. looked everywhere above the motor for vac leaks, but i have replaced the vac hoses in the last several years. I finally waited for a cold start condition (so the Pump would blow) and i could hear a leak on the pump discharge plastic flex hose. It had worn through by 12 years of rubbing up against the DV. While playing with it, it broke at the top/end joint. Duct Tape to the rescue. Passed inspection this morning.

Note I have previously found cracked rubber elbows up on top to be the problem. And one was cracked on the side I couldn't see so it was hard to find.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hartsoe1
I had a p0411 and couldn't pass inspection. looked everywhere above the motor for vac leaks, but i have replaced the vac hoses in the last several years. I finally waited for a cold start condition (so the Pump would blow) and i could hear a leak on the pump discharge plastic flex hose. It had worn through by 12 years of rubbing up against the DV. While playing with it, it broke at the top/end joint. Duct Tape to the rescue. Passed inspection this morning.

Note I have previously found cracked rubber elbows up on top to be the problem. And one was cracked on the side I couldn't see so it was hard to find.
My A4 failed last February and the error code was for the secondary air pump. I was going to replace the entire thing assuming that was the issue, but now you've made me second guess the issue. i have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering:

1. Just to confirm, you started the car cold, which is when the SAI pump is working, and you were able to hear an air leak even with the engine on?

2. After sealing the leak with duct tape, did your "Check Engine" light go off by itself or did you have to have it reset or remove the battery?

3. What's is DV an acronym for?

MY SAI is 13 years old, but it isn't making any strange noises as others have mentioned. Would love not to have to replace the unit if it is just a leaky pipe as the new unit won't even solve the problem.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

DV stands for Diverter Valve. Its a variable valve that allows for intake flow to be manipulated.

I have a problem with my SAI system but I think my passenger side head is clogged.

The SAI can be a biotch.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

I went outside and did a cold start and sure enough, air was pouring out of one of the hoses, the one closest to the front bumper. New hose, $5, quite from Audi to fix, over $1k.

Still wondering if the check engine light went off by itself after your duct tape repair or if you had to have it reset?

Thanks!!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

The CEL will go off after 1-3 cold start cycles if the problem is fixed. No deletions needed.