B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Second suspension noise thread! VIDS inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Second suspension noise thread! VIDS inside

So i recently developed this noise, its a rattle almost.
and it only seems to be noticeable at low speeds when i hit bumps, i inspected the control arms and they are brand new anyways. I haven't really looked over the tie rod, but it is also fairly new, i was thinking it could be the strut mounts since that is basically the last stock part on my car.

But anything is possible, im open to any opinions.

Thanks guys

Front Suspension Rattle - YouTube

Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

That sounds weird. Easy to check Tie rods/wheel bearings just jack up the car with the tire on grab the tire at 12 and 6 and shake then at 3 and 9 and shake it it moves then ya know. Does your front end sag at all? soungs like the spring is all jacked up!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

Uhm, Not exactly sag, the drivers side coil over sits about half an inch to an inch higher when at the same threads as the passenger.
Which is the side making the noise.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HulkB5
Uhm, Not exactly sag, the drivers side coil over sits about half an inch to an inch higher when at the same threads as the passenger.
Which is the side making the noise.
I really don't know, s**t about coilovers so I'm not sure if that's normal
They came with the car when I bought it

Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

under load they should be about the same. If the side making the noise is 1/2 lower than the side not at the same thread then the spring/shock is shot.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM
1st Gear

Yeah no, it's the drivers side that makes the noise, and it's about a Half inch higher than the other

Old 03-02-2012, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

Okay man I too have heard a similar sound before in my 98 1.8t quattro A4 before. When I was replacing all my shocks and springs with new stock springs and blausport shocks, I heard this noise when i was done reassembling everything. I believe they're called mcphearson struts. You can remove the whole shock and spring in one peice. Very handy. Anyway the top mounting plate with the two upper control arms pull that off when you get the strut assembly out. There should be a rubber top mount under the big metal plate. Chances are that rubber mount is unscrewing itself slowly. That's what happened to me anyways. I did not tighten the locking nut all the way down and this caused the same noise. A thunking rattle. I took it off immediately and took it to a shop that could compress the spring more than i could and put a new bolt on. Problem fixed. BE CAREFUL!!!! Make sure you have spring compressors on each side prior to unbolting it from the car, in case the spring is 100% detached from the mounts. It will fly out at you and can kill you. No joke. Like 30$ from carquest. Get some compressors, they are a pain in the *** but will save you in case anything goes wrong. Hey that could totally not be the issue but it's only an idea man. Just sounds so similar. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

I'm almost positive that that's what it is, I'll have to pick up some strut compressors on Monday.

I'm wondering if I might as well replace them while I pull the strut?

Maybe with 034 thicker density ones, but i wanna keep the daily drivablility.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

I purchased new strut mounts, and after pulling the strut, i cannot seem to loosen that nut holding on the strut mount for the life of me.

So until i find a way, my car is sitting in my driveway jacked up.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

Check your belly pan! Mine rattles and moves around. All the zipties in the world can't help me.

Quick Reply: Second suspension noise thread! VIDS inside