B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Seatbelt Retraction

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Seatbelt Retraction

So my seatbelt, mainly on the passenger side, is not retracting on it's own. I was looking along the column between the front and rear seats to see where/how to get into the seatbelt area, but couldn't find anywhere that looks to have tabs that open up to screws or areas that pop off.

Anyone have an idea where to start to pull them off?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

Is the belt stuck or retracting very slowly?

My driver's belt was retracting at a maddeningly slow rate and I used the following fix:

+ Add some *powder* laundry detergent to hot water in a bucket
+ Get a box or towel to catch any splashing, and put the bucket on the seat
+ Pull the seatbelt all the way out, use a vice grip or similar to keep the belt from retracting, and then soak the belt for 15-20 minutes in the soap solution
+ Get some fresh hot water and detergent and repeat
+ Soak in just water to rinse
+ Dry the belt as much as possible with a towel and then let it air dry overnight

Problem fixed. You would be surprised how much gunk builds up on the belts over the years.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by redmond1501
Is the belt stuck or retracting very slowly?

My driver's belt was retracting at a maddeningly slow rate and I used the following fix:

+ Add some powder laundry detergent to hot water in a bucket
+ Get a box or towel to catch any splashing, and put the bucket on the seat
+ Pull the seatbelt all the way out, use a vice grip or similar to keep the belt from retracting, and then soak the belt for 15-20 minutes in the soap solution
+ Get some fresh hot water and detergent and repeat
+ Soak in just water to rinse
+ Dry the belt as much as possible with a towel and then let it air dry overnight

Problem fixed. You would be surprised how much gunk builds up on the belts over the years.
The passenger side does not retract at all. I wouldn't mind cleaning the seatbelt, but would like to get the belt out prior and not sure that just cleaning it would work. It retracts, but only as I jiggle the seatbelt it then slowly goes back in.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

I'd try cleaning first.

To access the seatbelt mechanism, you have to remove the upper and then lower plastic pillars.

There's a writeup in this forum if you search. The top pillar pieces are easy, and I recommend getting a proper trim remover tool from Autozone/Pep Boys/wherever to do the job so you don't break all the plastics (you slide a screwdriver or trim remover under the plastic and pull as a lever until the trim pops off). I haven't removed the lower pillar pieces, but it looks more involved.

My seatbelt before cleaning wouldn't retract unless I spent 20 seconds hand-feeding it into the pillar, and even then it was like molasses. Now it zips back like new.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear

I'm totally doing this. Mine is so sloooooow. Any reason you used powdered detergent rather than liquid?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

Powder is gentler on the nylon and rinses out easier than liquid detergent. If the detergent doesn't rinse out, it's going to make the belts just as sticky as when they were dirty.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

I'll give it a shot in the next week or so.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

Interesting. Glad to have seen this thread because I also have the same problem with the passenger seatbelt. I have to jiggle it back in. I have a project to do this weekend

Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

i should have thought of this on mine, i had a 93 acura teggy, same prob, it was very common in those cars too, but you also had the clean the seatbelt track and guide for best effects. and if that didnt work you just had the wind the spring tighter

Old 12-03-2011, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

Definitely one of the more satisfying free fixes. You realize just how annoying the slow seatbelt phenomenon is once it's working right again.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Retraction