B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

seafoamed 3 days ago... now doin an oil change today

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Default seafoamed 3 days ago... now doin an oil change today

I seafoamed my car 3 days ago... I did one full can in the gas tank,half of a can in the crank,and half thru the intake... but my question now is why didn't my car smoke much at all? it smoked a bit while I was suckin it in thru the intake at 2500 rpms... but then I let it idle for about 5 min... then I let it sit off for about 15 min... then turned it on and let it sit for about 5 min and then went for a 5 min hard run... but most of the videos that I have watched on seafoaming, most of the smoke comes out after the car is turned on... why didn't mine do that?

im getting ready to do my oil change (using 5w-30 royal purple and a large mobil 1 synthetic filter)... now my question is if 4 quarts of oil should be enough for the oil and where is the best place to change the filter from... the top? or from the bottom?

thanks

-rudi-

Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Default RE: seafoamed 3 days ago... now doin an oil change today

I'm not sure of the 1.8T capacity (I have a 30v), but I'd buy five quarts so you either ensure you have enough for the change, or you'll have some extra on hand in case you have to add some later on (saves the trouble of going and getting more). As for the lack of smoke, it's probably simple - your car must not have had much crap built up. If it's not in there, it can't be burned off - I'd be happy about that. Give it another 15-20k miles and do the treatment again, and you'll probably have about the same result, which is good - minimal buildup of crap in the engine - you'll keep it in very nice shape that way.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:35 PM

so now im trying to do the oil change... and the drain plug nut wont loosen up... them bastards at speedy oil musta overtightened it... any suggestions?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:41 PM
3rd Gear

Use a 1/2" breaker bar witha 1/2" drive18mm socket and turn counter-clockwise.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:43 PM
5th Gear

breaker/cheater bar

Old 02-17-2008, 01:44 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Bogie

Use a 1/2" breaker bar witha 1/2" drive18mm socket and turn counter-clockwise.
beat me to it

but mine's a 17mm

Old 02-17-2008, 01:44 PM

can u show me what that looks like?

cause ive been trying with a torque wrench and ive used up all of my strength...

Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 PM

nvm... i searched it up on google... crap... i dont think i have one of those.... wheres the best place to get them at?

oh and that nut being so tight explain why theres always oil around it... they def overtightened it

Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Don't use a torque wrench to break bolts loose ever - you can ruin the torque wrench. A breaker or cheater bar is just a long metal handle with a pivoting socket mount on it - Sears or any hardware or auto parts store will have one. Just ask them for one at the counter. You can get them in 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 drive. Get one to fit whatever the majority of your sockets are. It doesn't have a ratcheting drive in it like a regular ratchet does, so you can crank on it a lot harder. Do that with a ratchet and you'll break the gear teeth. That's what a breaker bar is intended for - bust it loose, then use your ratchet to remove it.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:00 PM
5th Gear

you dont have to use a breaker bar, you can use a cheater bar instead. basically its a hollow pipe you can stick the end of the socket wrench into, creating a longer lever arm. torque= length of lever arm x force.

Quick Reply: seafoamed 3 days ago... now doin an oil change today