B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Seafoam 110k.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Seafoam 110k.

A4 B5 1.8t Manual non Quattro. It sounds like I got a sticking valve but I am worried if I Seafoam my car with 110k miles on it is going to cause more problems. My car currently does not burn oil. Its just about time to change the oil so I figured I would seafoam it since you gotta change the oil anyways. Also I have a little less then a half a tank of gas and was wondering what I need to be at or do I just poor a third of the bottle in and let the gas run almost till empty and fill it back up.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear

I personally use BG 44 to clean injectors, and as a mechanic for years...I'm not gonna tell you THAT's the way to go...BUT, it works....problem IS, you HAVE to have a FULL tank of gas...and follow instructions to a T....I use it on my own cars, just be VERY careful.....I'm not familiar with Seafoam....just I know BG 44 cleans injectors like a shop would clean your Fuel Injectors....as far a a STICKY valve, BG 44 wont help that....why do you THINK it has a sticky valve???

Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Cause when I put a screw driver on the valve cover and listen for issues I can kinda hear it stick. Also I keep getting a misfire in the second cylinder and I have tried everything to fix it but it just sounds like a valve not closing all the way.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
2nd Gear

you have a code?
next thing you should try is swapping out a spark plug wire, from one plug to the other and see if it follows...so, take the spark plug wire from the ONE you think is sticking, and swap it with another one that ISNT and see if it follows...might just be a bad/worn spark plug wire...I had that problem ONCE before....

Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

I got brand new coil packs from the Dealership cause it was a recall. But I have switched the plugs and I keep getting the Misfire in cylinder 2. All other cylinders misfire sometimes but not like cylinder 2. I have Vag-Com and watched the misfires happen. I just want to know if the Seafoam is going to cause my car any problems after doing it.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

there are stories of it helping and causing problems. i was going to seafoam mine too but just not willing to take the risk lol, i dont really have any problems to do seafoam anyways

Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear

DID YOU TRY TO SWITCH THE SPARK PLUG WIRES??? your answer is a little vague....get a NEW wire and switch it.....please? Just trying to help here....

Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

Okay. The Spark Plug Wires you are talking about are called Coil Packs. Thats what the Dealership called them. I have switched them around and still get misfiring in the second cylinder. I would have the Vag-Com scan put up but I had to reinstall my windows and its no longer on this computer but still on my laptop.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Now if you are talking about the plug wires that go from the Coil Pack (Spark plug wire as you call it) To I dont know, havn't really looked at it. That could be a problem yes, but they look fine and plug in correctly and stay tight.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear

I know they 'look' fine, just switch one from a 'good' one to the one that is 'bad' and see if the prob follows....

Quick Reply: Seafoam 110k.