B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

School me on this Craigslist Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

I'm gonna go check it out and see what happens. I'll update it later Thanks guys!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

id say the second one is worth $4000 if it has no problems

honestly the headlights look like crap
the wheels are nice though, just check to make sure no wheel bearing issues or any other "common" audi issues

Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 PM

nothing a one piece depo conversion can't fix

Old 07-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Administrator

The second one looks to be in good condition (exterior wise) and it seems to have a decent service records.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

And yes, you can fit those tires with the rear seats folded down. I've fitted 4 19's before and it went fine.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

I just got back from meeting with the second party.

Let's just say the car was in AMAZING condition. I mean I could not find a single scratch, ding, or chip on the exterior. No rust at all. The interior was good, aside from the small tear along the seam in the passenger seat, and there was only minor wear on the drivers seat and along the arm rest.

The test drive was smooth, very quiet during the whole ride and no weird sounds coming from the car. The clutch was tight and the short shifter was easy to shift. The steering was responsive. It really is in great condition.

The only thing was that the check engine light is on. They told me it's been on ever since they bought it two years ago. They've sent it to shops when they first got it and again before selling it and said that there's really no reason for it to be on. Nothing worth worrying about they said. They've driven it and it hasn't had any issues whatsoever. It was the wife's car and she barely put on 16k miles during the whole two years.

I'm somewhat concerned about this CEL but is it normal for Audis this age to do this? I'll be bringing it to a couple of shops nearby when I get it and see what they have to say. But otherwise, I think I got a good deal on it. The whole folder of service records (about 2 inches thick!) ever since the car was new really put my mind at ease since I knew what I was getting with the car. If I could get that light to go off then it would make me even more at ease.

Thanks for your guys' advice!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Glad everything went well. I assume you purchased the car?

Anyway, it's an inside joke that all of us have around the forums. Not having a CEL is considered a mod since our cars are known to always have one.

Pull our the code and post it up. I'm sure we might be able to diagnose the problem for you.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

Yeah I purchased it for $4200, can't go to the bank today so I'll pay it off tomorrow and then afterwards off to the shop to pull out the code!

I'm actually glad I got the car cause he said he's received atleast 10 emails about the car so far and several calls. Something I got a kick out of when I got home was that there was a guy that came to look at it after I bought it and wanted to get my number so he could buy it from me! So maybe if I get buyers' remorse when I drive it home tomorrow I can turn it up for a profit, ha..anyways this will be my first Audi and I can't wait to finally drive it around!

Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

Congrats sir. Im jealous i wanted mine to be black. Lets trade shells haha. Yah pull the code and post it up on a new topic. Its probably no big deal.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear

ive had the stupid mass air flow code for like ever, post up some pics when you get it home

Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear

She's a looker kid,take care of her. You need to buy a vag-com cable from eBay for about $10.00 and download the free vag-com lite software,so you can scan that code.

Take it to a shop for now but you might as well,invest in a vag-com,you'll need it for sure.

I am one of the very few lucky ones that don't have a CEL(knock on wood)i'm willing to bet that your CEL is a vacuum leak...its one of the most common codes on our B5's.

Quick Reply: School me on this Craigslist Audi A4