B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Sad few months- severe oil leak, need help & to sell or part out

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default Sad few months- severe oil leak, need help & to sell or part out

Long story short, my 1999 1.8T with 200k is leaking oil pretty bad (probably 1 quart per 2 minutes) where the oil cooler meets the block. The oil cooler seemed to be loose, so I tightened it down but there is still a leak. Does anyone know if there is a gasket in that area, between the block and the oil cooler? Or has anyone experienced this before?

Anywho, it took me a few months to even start messing with this cause the car was sitting outside in sub zero F weather. Meanwhile I went car shopping (just graduated from college my net worth is 42,000 in the hole), looked at A4''s, TL's, IS250's, G35's,325's and whatever luxury AWD car i might be missing. Decided on a subaru impreza, I realized for the same price as a 70,000 mile luxury AWD I could get an impreza. (not a WRX) Custom ordered (I always said I'd never do that, but the newer models get better gas mileage). Pretty excited but whats disgusting is they dont let you do black w/ black interior and you cant get auto climate control in a stick. So gray metallic with black interior it is and manual climate control it is.

I know this has been brought up before but I'm wondering if it is worth trying to sell this if repaired or part out. Hell, it blue books for 800 bux at best, but I see one's on carsoup for 2,500. Does anyone know if you can ship airbags in the mail? If I could actually get 2k for it, it might be better than a part out (after oil leak repair, exhaust leak repair, and alignment) but I am pretty skeptical.

If anyone is dieing for a black A4, with 200k, beginning rust, chipped, stock turbo, subwoofer, ipod adapter, 3/4 window tints, a broken exhaust, and needs an alignment feel free to throw out some prices.

Attached Thumbnails Sad few months- severe oil leak, need help & to sell or part out-img_0358.jpg   Sad few months- severe oil leak, need help & to sell or part out-img_0357.jpg   Sad few months- severe oil leak, need help & to sell or part out-img_0363.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 07:17 AM
2nd Gear

There's a big, fat O ring between the oil cooler and the block. Even at the dealer its not more than $10.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:33 AM
2nd Gear

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear

Either keep it and slowly repair it, or part it out, because $2K is a hell of a stretch for that car.

If you do part it out: Yes, you can ship airbags. They cannot deploy by themselves. They have to be connected to the deployment system.

GL w/everything!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

There is an o-ring between the oil cooler and the housing, as well as a gasket between the housing and the block. I wrote a DIY article on replacing the o-ring here: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy...o-ring-203592/

Not my business to get involved with your finances, but since you brought them up, if you're 40k in debt, is buying a brand new car the wisest choice? Financing a depreciating asset is rarely the best choice.

Deciding to buy a brand new car simply because it get's better mileage may not work out in your favor in the long run. Without the specifics of the cars you were looking at, their model year, and the price I can't get the most accurate numbers, but think about this.

A 2010 Subaru Impreza gets a combined 23.5mpg, a 2014 Impreza gets a combined 30.5mpg.

If you drive 15,000 miles a year, the 2014 will use 491 gallons of gas vs 638 for the 2010.

That 147 gallon difference in fuel adds up to $507 in savings per year based on premium gas in Minnesota costing $3.45 a gallon.

What you need to consider is whether the added costs of financing (since I assume you don't have the cash) and the depreciation rate of the vehicle are more or less than the money you will save with the increased mileage.

Just some things to think about.

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 04-03-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
2nd Gear

I noticed that "loose oil cooler" issue last oil change. I had no idea it was a known issue (and potentially horrible).

Back on the OP's topic: A good friend of mine slowly parted out his car on eBay and ended up making more than twice the money he paid for it.

You just need somewhere (dry & covered) it can sit until you're ready to scrap it.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter

What you need to consider is whether the added costs of financing (since I assume you don't have the cash) and the depreciation rate of the vehicle are more or less than the money you will save with the increased mileage.

Just some things to think about.
You're right, they are good things to consider. I have given it some thought and with .9 percent financing, I think it would be about break even as far as interest paid between buying new versus buying used @ a few thousand less but with a higher interest rate. The fuel savings @ 507 dollars per year becomes 2,028 after 4 years when my loan will end which should cover the immediate new-car drive off the lot depreciation (fyi 2013's are running about the same price). After that, it should continue to pay more than half of my car insurance each year.
I believe I am correct in that it makes more sense to pay off my student loans faster than saving up for cash to buy a car, I am essentially shifting some money from a higher interest loan to a lower one @.9 percent. If i spend time saving up cash for a car, I could be using that money to pay off my higher interest student loans.
Currently, I will have only one vehicle and it needs to be reliable. A 2010 impreza with 60k may not have any issues for quite some time, but on the other hand it could have some. I will be covered under warranty for the first couple years of driving where I can get a loaner if something happens when I buy new. Any more thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for the value information everyone, I was thinking 2k was really pushing it as well. I plan to hit the dealer on Monday to try to get a replacement o-ring.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear

Replace the O-ring yesterday, leak is fixed thanks everyone. Decided to give the car to a friend.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Fix it up....that is the same thing with my car....I had a small oil leak but, a little TLC fixed it up. Gas there is nice here you would pay around $4.19/G