B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

S4 turbo on A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 PM
1st Gear
Default S4 turbo on A4

So I bought my 99.5 a4 turbo this week. Ive driven a few at work before, and I really liked them, so I went ahead and sold my 2 cars to get one. The one I got is black, with white interior, and super clean, no scratches or rips anywhere.

It has the 1.8t with a replaced timing belt and 135k miles. I got it for 4500.

Now the bad part is the turbo is done. when I bought it I was surprised how slow it was but chalked it up to me having a few people in the car when driving. (felt like a 1.6 kia) I wanted to see if the turbo was working so I put a boost gauge in, and its showing 0psi under load. there are no leaks in the ic piping, and the wastegate dosent appear to be moving. Also, yesterday after idling for a min it started smoking a little bit from the exhaust, and the turbo area.

My guess is the turbo lines got clogged from the p.o. and it toasted the turbo, and thats why he was selling it. im not really upset that much, I just want to hurry up and get a new one on there.

Anyway the main point is, will on of the turbos from an s4 tt setup work on my a4 without modification, and can anyone point me to a guide on how to swap turbos? Ive got the ability as I work at goodyear, I just figured something with some pictures would be nice.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
5th Gear

i don't think it'll work without slight modifications but i know that gpopshop can rebuild your turbo for you

Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Site Moderator

No, different turbo set up. Best to buy a new K04, or maybe an eliminator.
www.atpturbo.com sells the eliminator turbos that bolt to the stock manifolds. Replacement is pretty straight forward on a 1.8T thank god.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Well the problem with that is, It looks like the the cheapest one is like 1500?

And I'm really just looking for a cheaper stock replacement. I don't need something to where I need to upgrade injectors and fuel layouts, just a stock turbo, or maybe be pointed to a cheap k04. Assuming they bolt right up.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Administrator

A k04 can be bolted up directly with zero other mods and it'll work fine. You won't get much benefit out of it even being larger, without a reflashed chip with the k04 file, but it'll run fine on your setup.

Auditech79, could he make it work by clocking the housing(s), or use the CHRA out of the S4 turbo as a core replacement, or are there other differences such as oil/coolant connections?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
A k04 can be bolted up directly with zero other mods and it'll work fine. You won't get much benefit out of it even being larger, without a reflashed chip with the k04 file, but it'll run fine on your setup.

Auditech79, could he make it work by clocking the housing(s), or use the CHRA out of the S4 turbo as a core replacement, or are there other differences such as oil/coolant connections?
Well if I were to get a k04 I probably would be getting it remapped, but overall, I dont want to have to do everything that comes with a large turbo setup.

Like my 240sx I had I was running a t25 with a frontmount, equal length headers, flashed ecu and larger injectors. Not looking for quite that much work now though.

And Like you just asked, im sure there must be a way to convert one over. Just because there aren't many options in Sacramento for stock turbos on craigslist, or from people I know. I just want to pick one up locally or online for cheap, and put it in soon. I don't like driving a smoking car around, haha.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear

you said sacramento ;p have you check the rancho cordova used parts?
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...87703205013688
give them a call and ask for the turbo, they probably do have a used one

Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil

Nope, you can make anything work with enough money, but it would probably cost more than a new turbo to do it. You can get a new k03 for around $600 and a new K04 for $700. http://www.raimotorsport.com/category-s/10641.htm

Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Site Moderator

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=27T
Just look at housing and you can tell it would suck to make it work.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tourbo24
you said sacramento ;p have you check the rancho cordova used parts?
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...87703205013688
give them a call and ask for the turbo, they probably do have a used one
Oh, I totally forgot about that. I could never order parts for my 240 so I forgot that place was there. Ill Give them a call tomorrow.

Also, still looking to see if anyone has a good guide for doing this.

Quick Reply: S4 turbo on A4